1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster pin

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bycin, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bycin

bycin Guest

Here's another piece of jewelry I would love to get more info on. I've not a clue except I remember an aunt of mine had one similar to it.

Anyone? Again, all my appreciation and thanks!

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

3. bycin

bycin Guest

There's no back really, unless I'm not understanding. The hanging part is the same, like a bunch of grapes, all around.

Again, unless I'm not understanding what you mean. Sorry!

4. bycin

bycin Guest

Here's another picture, more of the gold bar. Maybe that would help considering the cluster isn't a back/front, kind of thing?

5. Metro Retro Vintage

Thanks for showing that -- can you tell me or show what kind of 'thumb extension' (if any) is on the other side of that clasp/lock?

I see what you mean Bycin -- I was hoping to get a better view of the jump rings or wiring that is securing the beads, which look like crackle glass briolettes. Love that cascading cluster.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have a similar question - are the beads glass and are they secured by wire or by cord??? - can't quite tell from the photos. But - I think it's '30's from what I can see. Very nice!

Linn

7. Metro Retro Vintage

I think it's early too, and thought 20's/30's. Just to see the bottom side of that clutch/lock can narrow it -- and also perhaps spreading the beads a little if at all possible, to see what's going on in there. :)

8. bycin

bycin Guest

I'll get another pic - I think I get it now what you need to see - later.

Beads, Linn, are secured with gold wire. Each one to one piece.

20/30s, huh? That'd be cool!

9. bycin

bycin Guest

Oh, forgot...the beads are glass, yes.

10. bycin

bycin Guest

another shot, of the clasp from a different angle.

11. bycin

bycin Guest

And another...thanks!

12. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I can't help with the age, but that is a really lovely, lovely piece!

13. Metro Retro Vintage

That's an excellent angle - thank you! I'm still seeing 20's/30's on it, and see some of the goldwash remaining.

It also looks like some type of brass wire work around a center stem holding the beads, from what I could see. Did Mom find this piece too? Can I borrow her? :)

14. bycin

bycin Guest

vintagebaubles, thanks...how sweet of you to say!

metroretro, thanks...so you think it's 20s/30s, and what would I call it? I've been trying to find something similar on ebay or etsy and am at a loss beyond "glass cluster pin".

This one I picked up not mom. Guess it's genetic. Won't tell you how much I paid for it or you'll stop talking to me. lol

15. bycin

bycin Guest

oh...what's goldwash?

16. Metro Retro Vintage

Tease! Lol.

Well let's see, maybe something along the lines of -- crackle glass beaded cascading articulated pendant cluster brooch -- or something similar.

It's late and so I'm just stringing a bunch of words together, but there must be a decent title in there somewhere, lol.

A goldwash is just a thin plating, which in this case would be 'gold over brass' .

17. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's really lovely. I think I've seen that kind of cascade described as 'Waterfall'. Hope that helps.

Ruth

18. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Also, I think, described as "dangle brooch."

19. bycin

bycin Guest

waterfall...dangle brooch...interesting...thanks!

metro retro, were they doing goldwash that late? I read up on this after you and I spoke and they seemed to indicate that it was replaced by gold plating in the early 1900s.

So much to learn!! Appreciate it all!

20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I've had similar pieces to this and I always called them a cluster of grapes. It's a little beauty!