1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy op-art waveform print 60s Scandinavian dress - and a plea for info

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TinTrunk, May 4, 2010.

1. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

Any pictures of the suit, Sarah?

This thread has turned into an appreciation of Finnish fashions, and I'd love to see it!

Sarah

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, now I know some more names too that I'll watch out for the next time I go to Helsinki - I already know a pretty big thrift shop there.

My friend in Vienna a bought an Anniki Karvinen dress at a secondhand shop last summer - her thought was "Marimekko" too at first.

I totally adore finnish design - not just clothes or Marimekko, but things like furniture design or architecture too. I went to Helsinki the first time about 10 years ago, a chance trip for three days, with not much of an idea of what to expect - and I completely fell in love with it!

In 2005, the Design Museum in Helsinki held a big exhibition about Maija Isola, who designed many of the iconic Marimekko fabrics of the 60s (like the Unikko pattern with the poppies). Lovely exhibition, and they also published a book about it.

I have a book on the history of fashion photography in Finland (not to read it - it's mostly in finnish, and my knowledge of that language is... basic, I just bought it to drool a the photos :spin: ), in which I have just found an old fashion magazine shot that features the pink & white Vuokko dress from one of Jaana-Maris photos! That one's from 1973.

Karin

3. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

I'm definitely a fan too, Karin! But nerdy me needs to find out more about all these great fashion designers/companies!

It looks like Marimekko tends to get all the credit, when perhaps its actually a Finnish style that they marketed the most prominently!

Taschen published a book on Scandinavian design, which I wish I had bought in 2006 because now its listed at over £40 secondhand on Amazon. But apparently it covered all kinds of designers/companies, including fashion, promisingly (this doesn't always apply with design books - they tend to be snobby about clothing, although they usually include textiles).

Sarah

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Sarah, that book sounds great. I checked it out - amazon Germany has one used issue for 100 Euros. Yuk! I love Taschen books - they sell a lot of them at my favorite books-surplus-shop at lower prices - but I've never seen this one there. It probably sold so well that it never went to that shop :duh:. But you never know... I'll have to keep my eyes open. I've searched for the book about the Kyoto Fashion Institute for about three years...

From what I gather from my finnish books, Vuokko is probably more high-end, like Marimekko. I've found a few more dresses by them in my book - some quite far-out stuff!

Karin