1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Cardigan Help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ruby, Jul 8, 2012.

  1. Tabbyannabel

    Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

    One of my favourite films of all time!

    I've lived in both the USA and Scotland so my language is all over the place. I have no clue if I am saying something American or British anymore! Suspenders is another word that has completely different meanings in the two countries. American: item to hold up trousers British: item to hold up garters (stockings).
  2. Linn

    Linn Super Moderator Staff Member

    I love "It Happened One Night!" I watched a 1933 Claudetter Colbert movie last night, "Three Cornered Moon."

    Here's what we call a "vest" in the US. Diane Keaton and Woody Allen in "Annie Hall" - 1977:

    Annie Hall vest.jpg
    (One of my all time favorite movies!!!)

  3. Retro Ruth

    Retro Ruth Queen of Tech Staff Member

    That Annie Hall look is so classic. Yep, that's what I call a waistcoat.

    It's true the suspender/garter belt thing is another confusing one. We call the things for holding up your trousers braces here.
  4. Ruby

    Ruby Registered Guest

    It's great how old tv shows can help pinpoint clothing styles. I've always wished they were in color though, I mean can you imagine how much more gorgeous those dresses would look in color? Haha but I guess the black and white is part of its charm.
  5. We call flip flops "thongs"! I think I'm about the only Australian who doesn't wear them.
  6. Midge

    Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

    ... and in New Zealand they're jandals - I didn't get that one at first at all. And now I've learned a few more expressions that aren't the same - though if I can keep them in mind - we'll see. :) But I guess it's the same with any language.

    Oh, I love "It happened one night"! These 30s screwball comedies are so much fun.


Share This Page