1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Violet6763

Violet6763 Registered Guest

It's definitely been shortened because there's a narrow hem and the bottom button is very close to the hem. I thought the same as you date wise. It's a shame there are some areas of damage. It's a beautiful garment

Attached Files:

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

A further thought: since as Pinkcoke noted the lining has likely been removed, it's possible Jacqmar was responsible only for that, as I believe they made silk lining fabric.

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I was looking for more information about Jacqmar clothing and found out quite a bit of information.

According to what I read Victor Steibel's business was taken over by Jacqmar Limited during the war years and then he came back as Victor Stiebel at Jacqmar after.

Late on Digby Morton came in to design for Jacqmar. The earliest I could find that Digby Morton designed for Jacqmar was 1952.

This ad found on Pinterest was said to date to 1956. This skirt suit was designed by Digby Morton for Jacqmar and was from the Town and Country autumn collection. Although the collar is not exactly the same, I see some similarity and I also see some similarity in the buttons.
    Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 3.08.30 PM.png
    and although the collar is different, here is a dress coat that is similar to yours that was designed by Digby Morton in 1956.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 3.20.14 PM.png

and then here's a newspaper article from 1956 that refers to Jacqmar's Town and Country autumn collection by Digby Morton.
    Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 2.24.28 PM.png

Lastly here is the info stating Stiebel's business was taken over by Jacqmar Limited during the war years and since demobilization he was identified as Victor Stiebel at Jacqmar.
    Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 2.28.21 PM.png

4. Violet6763

Violet6763 Registered Guest

Thank you so much. Its really interesting to read about it all. I need to find someone thinner than me to put it on so I can add a photo of how it fits. It's very similar to the Digby Morton coat