1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Topic....Do You Wear The Vintage You Buy?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, Mar 22, 2004.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I know many of us buy vintage to wear, while some of us
    just collect.

If you buy it to wear - how do you wear it? Do you present a totally vintage appearance (ie. garment, accessories....total look head to toe?), or do you mix vintage with contemporary?

Sue:)

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I'll start...at the moment, due to an expanding waistline :(
    I wear the odd LARGE size vintage top. I have a men's
    xl 50s cardi that I love and my 'grandpa' sweater actually looks pretty neat with jeans.

I also have a 40s wrap tweed jacket that I wear with
    turtleneck sweaters and jeans. The ultra femme
    50s dresses that I love however are out of the question.

So, for me, mixing the odd piece with contemporary is my
    current approach.

Sue

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

As a guy, I lived in vintage in the early 80s when I was doing my New Wave thing... especially vintage suits from the 40s, 50s & 60s, and ties, lots of ties. SHoes, when I could find them but with a size 12/13 foot that was rare. Ironically though, now that I am a collector, I wear absolutely no vintage at all, not even ties...

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

As a guy, I lived in vintage in the early 80s when I was doing my New Wave thing... especially vintage suits from the 40s, 50s & 60s, and ties, lots of ties. SHoes, when I could find them but with a size 12/13 foot that was rare. Ironically though, now that I am a collector, I wear absolutely no vintage at all, not even ties...

5. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

My size, too, keeps me from finding very many wearable pieces of vintage, but I do use shoes, purses, gloves, etc. to accent contemporary clothes.

I'm a fiend for shoes and handbags.

And there is usually a vintage hankie in the bag.

Brenda

6. I wear my 50s Lilli Ann coat quite a lot and get quite a few compliments. At work I love to wear vintage blouses and blazers with nice jeans or slacks. I put vintage brooches on my blazer or throw on a vintage scarf.<p>Oh, and I love my vintage chenille robe and vintage nightgowns.<p>Linda

7. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I can't seem to wear a complete vintage outfit around here without stares. So I wear bits and pieces I have quite a few Jackets that went to skirts. Skirts that were so small waisted no way could I wear them anyways. But the jackets look good with jeans and dress pants. Then I have lots of vintage scarves. Sometimes I sell some that I find but most I keep and not only do I wear them around my neck but once in a while you will find one Jackie O style on my head.

Then there are the handbags I am getting quite a nice collection of them, if my daughter would return all the ones she borrows, it would be a nice collection anyways.

Then I have a few winter coats and spring coats that I wear and one cocktail swing coat that I love.

when I was younger I wore a lot of hats but now that I am older they just don't look good on me so most hats that I have are for my manni Solena who does look good in them.

8. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

I would, if I could find anything in my size. :)

Deb

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

My winter coat is a 1950s one with agreat sheared beaver collar. I used to wear lots of bowling shirts( just sold them all!) and 1940s vintage blouses. I do have a nice 1940s green gab blazer I wear with black skirts and trousers. Now if I can ever lose theat extra poundage, there are a few more things that will go back in the rotation!

Holllis

10. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I bought this dress with all intentions of wearing it "someday." I love it, but it will definitely be a challenge to ever wear it as-is. I do have a contingency plan, though, to use it in an altered version.

My MOTB dress - prayerfully

Prayers for both a wedding and prayers that I can wear the dress :D

Brenda

Oh, and I got this mah-velous creation from VFG member, Catbooks1940s !!!

11. dibs2002

Wow Brenda, that is really nice.

12. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Although I'd like to wear vintage clothes everyday, I can't really find anything in my size. If I did, I'd be scared of wearing it for everyday use due to my three year old ruining it!
    Saying that though, I do have two pairs of vintage shoes, a 1920's and a 30's crocodile pair in my size (UK 8/ US 10) that I'd like to wear to a special occasion.

I do wear my antique things though as I'm part of a Victorian and Edwardian re-enacting group. My antique things fit better and look nicer than antyhing I could ever sew!
    Ironcially, I can find Victorian things in my size more often than I can find in more recent vintage!

Lei

13. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

Ive always worn vintage mixed with contemporary, I wore vintage shoes for years but due to an accident I am unable to any more. I never wear modern coats strictly vintage, love vintage hats, accessories, jewelry...

My goodness Brenda! What a gorgeous dress!

14. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I wear vintage almost daily in some form . I have a large collection of cashmere sweaters, and in the winter, I live in them. My favorites are the embroidered cardigans, but I also have lots of vintage turtlenecks and crew neck pullovers. I also have one very old Norwegian blue and white, Nordic design that I wear when it is very cold here in the South. I get more compliments on that sweater!

I also love mod 60s jumpers and skirts. The a-line shape is easy to wear, and looks great with a pair of knee length boots. But no poly double knit; just wool for me.

My latest passion is 40s and early 50s jackets. I have several that I wear, and people can't believe that they are "old" clothes. My favorite this year has been a 50s blue and black tweed by Bardley, but I have a 40s blue gab that I've worn a lot too, and a Pendleton 49er.

For summer, I like the early 60s look. I love bateau necklines and the little crop tops for casual wear that look cute with modern capris (which hit me at the ankle cause I'm short).

The only vintage shoes I wear are 60s, but I love early 60s two tones, and also, shoes with a mod look. Not clunky though. I just found a wonderful pair of navy boots from the 60s that are part suede, part leather.

I could go on, but you get the picture!

Lizzie

15. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Brenda...that dress is lovely!

Well so far it looks like vintage and contemporary are
    worn together to complement each other.

Does anyone wear strictly vintage? There used to be a
    gal in town (she looked to be early 20s), and she always
    wore 50s vintage. This is a small town and people did
    stare (particularly the older folk), but she looked so fabulous!
    Think she went on to the big city.

Sue

16. dibs2002

Lizzie I would freeze to death if I only wore sweaters in the winter. Now, maybe with Hollis's sheared beaver coat over it, I might stay warm.

The windchill was -22 today.

;)

Deb

17. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Ha! I have coats, but I rarely wear them. I guess I wear my Burberry trench more than any other. I also have a Cashin raincoat, a great vintage Mackintosh, and a vintage coat made from a Mexican blanket. I usually just need a jacket over the sweater. Today was cold, so I wore 2 sweaters!

Lizzie

18. dibs2002

I have a Pendleton wool jacket that I LOVE, but it's not warm enough for winter.

Two sweaters! Poor you! LOL.

Deb

19. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Like most of us, I have a hard time finding vintage that will fit me. Ironic, isn't it? Even vintage sellers must shop from other vintage sellers to find a good wardrobe. I buy thousands of vintage articles per year... and maybe 3 or 4 of those will fit me and/or look good on me.
    I do use a lot of vintage purses.. although I rarely use ones in perfect condition. I'm too hard on them with a 6 year old around! I like the ones that are just worn in enough to take away my guilt. The perfect ones I either pack away or sell.
    I do have several vintage coats that I use every year. A 60's black wool military pea-coat that I found at a thrift back in the late 80's. A oversized and cozy black faux fur late early 60's swing coat. An early 60's red/olive plaid boxy jacket from a skirt suit (I have the skirt, too, but don't wear it as much). Looks great with a skirt (ALWAYS just below the knee on me!) and boots.. or even with jeans.
    I do have a few vintage shirts in my wardrobe-- most of them from the early 60's. Casual button downs, mostly. Ship n' Shore style. I also have a few late 60's tacky poly blouses that I fell in love with for some unkown reason. I think they must remind me of my Granny. I miss her lots.
    Come to think of it.. LOTS of my vintage is early 60's, isn't it? LOL! I LOVE 50's fashions, but just can't find any that fit me-- especially in the torso.
    Because of my height (5'9") I will often resort to vintage inspired pieces to fill in the gaps. Black pencil skirts, cropped pants, that sort of thing.
    At least until the real (vintage) thing comes along....
    I do wear my 1940's two tone pink chenille rob every day :-D

OH! I Do have a vintage 40's Lilli Ann suit that fits me perfectly-- I've kept it so far convinced I'll wear it someday. Of course.. I'd probably feel to guilty to actually DO it! I also have one more late 40's tweed-y suit that fits me.. but I blew out the shoulder seams with my linebacker shoulders. I'm going to eventually have it repaired and sell it so I don't have deal with temptation again.

Kristine

20. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

I'm a member of the "vintage doesn't fit club". I do wear exclusively vintage coats, many vintage jackets and blazers, almost all my handbags are vintage, I wear only vintage scarves, lots of vintage jewelry, vintage shoes (I'm lucky to have a small foot).
    There are very, very few vintage dresses that fit me. I do have some 60's dresses that I wear and a couple of chic Chanelish suits (nope, I don't have a real Chanel yet). One of my very favorite things is to wear is a short kimona with black silk pants and a silk shell. I have a huge collection of kimonas and wear them as evening coats as well.
    Actually, I would feel a little silly in head to toe vintage, but I've seen others who carry it off beautifully.
    I also DO sleep in my vintage gowns and slips and love to wear my Catherine Ogust's around the house.
    My handbag collection is enormous and, with the exception of a 70's LV Speedy, I always carry a vintage bag. (Whoops, I guess a 70's LV Speedy IS vintage...my how time flies) LOL
    I'm also partial to LBD's from the 60s but only have a few that will fit.
    Those darn 24 inch waists!!!!
    joey/camelbackcat