1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Topic....Do You Wear The Vintage You Buy?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, Mar 22, 2004.

1. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

WOW! I forgot all about this topic and just looked at the message I posted three years ago (LOL, how I know is that I said Jake was 3, he's 6 now!).

A lot has changed for me since then as I lost loads of weight and now have an easier time finding vintage things to fit (a thing Harriet only knows too well!).
    I no longer do reenacting so my tastes have slide from hourglass victorian to hourglass 1950's. If I could, I would wear 1950's all the time but it's not really practical where I live (a lot of yobs who beat up on you if you look "different"- I've already had some guy slap me in the head for wearing jodhpurs when I was going to the stables to muck out!).
    I have a 50's atomic horse patterned skirt that I wear in the summer with camisoles and I ALWAYS wear vintage to the vintage clothing fairs- it's become my trademark as I always have a new frock on. This is the dress
    that I'm going to wear to the next fair in September!
    Despite my weight loss, my 5'9" height still gives me problems when it comes to lengths on things, most women now and then aren't my height so I have to look for dresses that don't have a waist seam like shelf bust or princess seamed dresses. I can always corset my waist smaller to fit into things but can't do anything about my height!
    My feet also got smaller (well, a bit narrower) so I do have a few pairs of UK size 8 shoes that fit me that I wear with my outfits too and of course, vintage seamed stockings!

Lei

2. frenchie25

frenchie25 Registered Guest

During the summer I am usually wearing vintage dresses with current shoes (due to my Fred Flinstone feet). In the winter I like to wear vintage sweaters or blazers with current pants. I too have an obsession over vintage coats and have one for each day of the week.

To me, vintage is my lifestyle and I love to be a walking, talking advertisement for vintage clothing.

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

How fun that this thread has resurfaced! Things have changed a lot for me, too. When I made my original post, I was teaching, and now I'm retired, so my dress has really changed.

I still do lots of vintage sweaters and jackets in the winter. They look as great with jeans (vintage 501s only!) as they did with my army of short black skirts that I wore to work every day. And I kept my vintage jumpers (including a favorite gray flannel Mary Quant) but I rarely wear them.

For summer, I still like the early 60s look. I love bateau necklines and the little crop tops for casual wear that look cute with modern capris (which hit me at the ankle cause I'm short). I just made a top from a vintage piece of fabric using a 1962 pattern. I already know I'll wear it a lot.

And I also love wearing my late 50s/early 60s travel themed skirts. They look great with a tee shirt and flat sandals.

Lizzie

4. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I used to collect 1940's rayon dresses and Lilli Ann suits. I would only buy items that fit me, but I rarely wore them. I was "saving" them for special occasions that never happened. I would love to wear them now, but I can't fit into them anymore! I will always regret that I didn't wear them when I could.

Now I buy 1970's dresses, and I wear them every weekend.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Not anymore. I did when we did shows and when I worked in theatre full time.

But now I either buy for the collection or for resale.

Hollis

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I don't think a day goes by that I don't wear something vintage. I LOVE vintage 50s 60s cotton blouses the 3/4 sleeve jobs with cute prints. I wear those with jean shorts in the summer.
    As an ex dressmaker I am always revamping things. My latest experiment was with a matronly wool dress circa 1950s. The bodice had great buttons and nice details The wool was a beautiful plum color so I cut the skirt to hip length and refit the bodice so it was more flattering. I used some of the left over hem to make cuffs on the sleeves. Voila! cool looking top.
    The neckline was kind of blah, just rounded so underneath I wore a black silk turtle neck. I like layered looks. They are good on us older women. The whole thing was pulled together with a wide 80s belt. Wish I had more time to play, there are so many vintage projects in my head!
    ---------
    Melody

7. anessa

anessa Guest

Tell me about it! The bane of my existence! How do I have a drawer full of slips and camis and NEVER seem to have the right one for the dress? Speaking of which, I have 2 awesome dresses going up this week that fit me that I would wear if it weren't for that issue!

8. missproper

missproper Alumni

I wear all my vintage, all the time. Once in awhile I find something I like thats contemporary....but 90% of the time I stick with vintage.
    My favorites are dresses & hats from the 40s and 50s.
    My 7 year old niece was looking through my closets the other day, and said, "You don't have any new clothes do you?!"
    Nope!
    :wub:

9. kaleidoscopecarousel

kaleidoscopecarousel Registered Guest

If I could find vintage shirts that fit me and looked like something I would wear, then I would wear it. The only things I have that would fit me are dresses and well... I dont do dresses. I cant find any vintage shoes that would fit me that arent dressy shoes. I would love to be able to fit into the stuff I sell. I would wear it all and probably go out of business.
    I do carry around a variety of my purses tho. I have so many purses... its not funny. Im not a girly girl but when I started buying vintage stuff LOOK OUT!!! I became a purse fanatic! I have so many purses in my house now Im losing space for everything else. I did however find a pair of jelly shoes that fit me at an estate sale last weekend that I will mos def be wearing soon =)
    Our kids hate the fact that we are retro-ing our home as we remodel. My oldest son (12) actually told me the other day that he wont be inviting his friends over now that we have a gold/mustard colored vintage couch, a sherbert colored chair and maroon vintage chair in our living room!!! (do you know how sad I am over that lol)
    If anyone has a cool old granpa sweater that would fit a chubby girl, holler!! I have been looking for one that would fit my taste :headbang: