1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divine wool crepe dress 40''s 50's era? Help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Measurements

Hi Linn,
    Who lives in one of my most favourite parts of the world :)
    Measurements laying flat side to side are:
    Underarm to underarm: 18-18 1/4"; Waist: 14", Hip: 19"; Across the top of the shoulders: 16 1/4"; Length-edge of shoulder to hem: 42"
    Kate

2. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

Just such a fabulous dress, Kate. And my size too! :wub:

I'm cautious about wading into the 40s/50s debate with so many experts ahead of me, but my first reaction was early 1950s. There's something about 3/4 sleeves and that standing collar.

Sarah

3. There are elements of '50s style there, but as Jennifer points out, the shoulder pads are a defining issue.

They did wear shoulder pads into some dresses into the early '50s, but they were small and soft, either thinly padded or just an empty bit of fabric to define the shoulder line. You can see that these ones are stiffly padded and triangular - to emphasise the shoulder, not just define it.

In fact, the whole silhouette with it's wide shoulders and flared (not gathered) skirt is more '40s than the curvier '50s. Whilst wool crepe and the colour were used in the later decade, they were also more common during the '40s.

Nicole

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks, Marty -

I have been thinking about it all day but it's slightly too large and although I want the fit to be tasteful, I think the bust and bodice and waist on this should fit snugly. The hips would be fine - LOL. And of course there's the fact that it's wool and a winter dress but I'm ok with that!

Maybe Tin Trunk aka Sarah will go for it.

I really love it and have been thinking about it since Katie first posted it! Unfortunately I do not have a good alterations person except for the most simple things like hems.

Linn

5. IT FITS MEEEE!!!! (With a corset lol) well the hips would be too small but I am sure there is some give being wool crepe.... if you still have it after the holidays I might have to snatch it up!

My hubby liked it too!!

6. TinTrunk

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 40s now. All my fashion books show that shoulders were diminishing even in the late 1940s, although it must be remembered that these books only show 'high' fashion which doesn't allow for the 'fashion time lag' of women who maybe preferred to keep those shoulders despite fashion dictates because that's what they were used to. (A good example today would be hipster trousers, which aren't really fashionable anymore but are still popular, and indeed still being made).

Linn - that's very gracious of you! I would absolutely adore this dress (I'm picturing it winter-styled with cosy ankle boots) but Christmas expenses have drained my funds :( .

So go for it Jennifer! You would look divine in it, especially now you've got the hairdo sorted!

Sarah :xmasunwrap2:

7. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

How big is the mannequin?

If it makes any difference the mannequin measures B 85cm/33.5"; W63cm/24.8"; H85cm/33.5" and its not pinned in anyway the belt is tightened probably a tad too much as it makes the front a little skewed.
    :)
    Katie

8. TinTrunk

With so much enthusiasm for your dress right here on this thread, you clearly have a real gem on your hands there, Katie!

Sarah :elf: