1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Feb 12, 2018.

1. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It has a metal zipper, correct? I am still not seeing 60s, it looks earlier to me.

2. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Yes, it has a metal zipper along the side.

3. I still see '40s, too. What a dress!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have waited a long time to think about this dress. As many have noted, it looks home made which can make it a little challenge as to dating it. My first thought was it is not 1940s, and I still think that is the case. While the style is a WWII style, the construction (to me) does not look at all like 1940s but seems more contemporary as does the fabric. I almost thought it was home made costume like "WWII red white and blue" uniform for a band or parade, or for a school play. Not sure if this is a home made "70s does 40s" or some kind of other thing. But I am leaning to it not being a true 1940s garment.

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I wondered that same thing today! If it was something someone made for a play. What put that idea in my head was the front pocket. I never really took a good look at it until earlier and this pic is what I found. Now I don't know, I'm no professional by any means, but every piece of 1940s clothing I personally own is so well made, of such quality and detail. This pocket looks cheap by comparison.

I'm going to try and get a good pic of the zipper tab. There's some writing on it that may give a clue, if I can make out what it says.

IMG_9962.JPG

8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

9. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I believe that says "conmatic." I looked it up and came across a website called steelzipper.com that says this kind of zipper was introduced in 1954 and it's end of use was the mid 60s. Says it was commonly used on men's military stuff from the late 50s to early 60s.