1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Coat Fashioned for Purcell's (Jacksonville) of Forstmann Virgin Wool

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Oh, my - Barbara, that coat is beautiful! I wouldn't mind one like that.

2. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Thanks! It was a little eBay treasure I found during this past summer.

3. Jennifer Kietzman

Haha, so kind! If it's any consolation, it's suffered some over the years - a few moth holes (fortunately in discreet areas) and some grazing. Still, though, it declares its presence in the world with a whole lot of panache!

4. Jennifer Kietzman

Wow, that's a beauty! I'd take it. And the plot thickens - I was settled on late 40s, but the ad does add weight to an argument for an earlier date.

5. Jennifer Kietzman

You know, I've often wondered about the rather inventive use of fur trim on 40s coats. Any theories as to why this is? Why such quirkiness at that particular point in time?

6. I think it's earlier in the '40s too.

Regarding the fur trim, it may be WW2 ingenuity, making the most of the scraps rather than throwing them away.

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Yes, that makes sense, about the trim, thanks! From penury to ingenuity.

8. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

from what i can tell from the photos, i don't think the shoulders are padded enough to be wartime.