1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed to date item

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by MissV57, Mar 22, 2020.

1. MissV57

MissV57 Registered Guest

Thanks to you Claire for your unvaluable help! Do you still think it is 70s?
    I have a good tailor I am sure she can help with all that fraying.
    Keep healthy in those times :)

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I'm not good at dating. My expertise is construction. Please keep us posted after you talk with your tailor.
    Thanks for the good wishes; yes, these are trying times. Where are you located?
    Be careful and stay well. C

MissV57 likes this.
  3. MissV57

MissV57 Registered Guest

Hi Claire I am French but I live in London for 9 years now! And you?

4. claireshaeffer

I am in southern California in the desert. This is a winter resort so the weather is fabulous; unfortunately, it is a terrible time economically for our businesses. Both Coachella and Stage Coach were cancelled. I don't know how to describe their music except very loud modern. Businesses need to make money now to carry them through the summer. I am a writer and almost retired so I'm used to working at home.

I did a lot of research in London for my couture book at Hardy Amies and several Savile Row tailors for Couture Tailoring. There are no couture houses in London now; when I did my research, there were 5 or 6. As they went out of business, it's quite possible that many of the dressmakers and tailors continued to work privately.

When you go to your tailor, ask her or him about replacing the back zipper. It's not the right zip and it's not sewn in well. Even though the blouse is clean, you might consider having it dry cleaned after it visits the tailor. I think it will give the blouse a new life.

5. MissV57

MissV57 Registered Guest

What an interesting life it does sound so much more interesting than my banking career! Also I love the USA and I would love to see something else then just New York.
    Agree on those festivals it is mainly house.

London has been taken over by chains unfortunately. However there are some suit tailor in the city (I know one at least a very old fashion one). I actually hope my tailor is not going out of the business. I will go there once all of this is finished.

I wish you a good day Claire. Thanks for all

6. claireshaeffer

London is no different from Florence, Rome, and many other European cities. There used to be lots of small shops that you could visit and now all the big names are everywhere.
    Most tailors enjoy what they do and have long careers. Sometimes because they continue to need the income; sometimes because they simply enjoy their work.
    All good wishes, stay safe.