1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dating a purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RakShniya Vintage, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RakShniya Vintage

RakShniya Vintage Registered Guest

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble dating this lovely purse, it looks old but I'm just not sure.
    The frame, although ornate seems to be plastic and not lucite or bakelite.
    The bag's fabric is ribbon.

Any thoughts?
    I'd appreciate your help!

1391-1001.jpg 1391-1002.jpg 1391-1003.jpg

Chiquita likes this.
  2. How lovely. I’m seeing 30s. Let’s see what others think.

RakShniya Vintage and Chiquita like this.
  3. RakShniya Vintage

Thanks Deborah! I was thinking maybe... 40s, but I'm not sure.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

These were super popular in the late 30s-early 40s. They were crochet kits. You'd buy the whole kit (yarn, instructions, handles) and make it. My grandmother and her BFF made them on train trips.

RakShniya Vintage likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Lovely. It looks to be made of what they sued to call "gimp" which is not really a yarn, but a satin wrapped cording.

8. RakShniya Vintage

Hi Linn,
    thanks for your help. Although I understand why your bag would look similar to the one I posted, the fabric does not look similar. The popcorn term however is very useful to me, thank you again!

9. RakShniya Vintage

thanks Midge!

10. RakShniya Vintage

how interesting!! I never knew that! Maybe that would explain the handle that looks to be made out of a simpler kind of plastic?

11. RakShniya Vintage

that's intersting! I've never heard of gimp before, I'll look into it. Thank you!

12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

They would pick them up at the local Five and Dime.

13. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I am an interior designer. I know "gimp" as trim usually used for upholstery but it can be used on curtains, pillows, etc. Here is an online definition of "gimp" that I found:

twisted silk, worsted, or cotton with cord or wire running through it, used chiefly as upholstery trimming

The purse is crocheted from yarn. Gimp would not be flexible enough to do this. The frames of both bags I have like this are Celluloid. It's likely that the bag your are asking about is Celluloid. Here is a picture of my other "popcorn" bag.

Blue Popcorn Stitch Crocheted Bag with Celluloid Frame.jpg

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The definition Linn give above is correct, but keep in mind it is a modern definition. "Gimp" back in the old days, pre 1950s, was quite thin and very flexible, but not limp. In my collection I have quite a number of rolls of antique and vintage gimp, dating from circa 1920 to 1940s. Very thin, cotton core and silk or rayon satin outer layer. The paper labels on the rolls says "GIMP" on each roll, regardless of the maker. Home sewers used it, as did milliners, for soutache, crochet and embroidery.. I have come across quite a few handbags made if this old gimp.

Here is an example

gimp 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018