1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Hattie Carnegie gown (50s?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Apr 22, 2020.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi All, this dress has had something removed, a lining? an underlayer?

1.Am I right in 50s or is this later?

2. Also, it feels like a cottony silky organza fabric with a burn out pattern....not sure what it is?

3. Also, the label looks like it may have been resewn on when the inner lining was removed (or it's not Hattie Carnegie and this label was added??) so that if you wear the dress with label at the back, the zippered and hooked V is at the front....seems like other side is the front?

Any help much appreciated, Lauren hatlabsm.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I see darts from the waist up on that side that doesn't have the zipper. Does the other side also have darts? Are there any bust darts coming from the side seam? It's hard to see on the photos.

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Gapped out there and didn't notice! Here are better shots. Sorry about that! So the person who redid the label just put it in the front.

Attached Files:

4. Midge

But in the photos there are darts on both sides - and the bigger ones on the side with the zipper if I see right?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think this is a Hattie Carnegie. There are remnants of another label at the top of of the fabric at the back of the neckline. It looks like they might have taken a Hattie Carnegie label out of hat. Even the placement of the label is odd.

Meant to add it looks like a lounging gown which would make sense for the zipper to be in the front.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Yeah, those are on the side with the zipper.

7. Midge

I would have said the larger darts go in front, as there's more shaping there because of the bust, so it looks like zip front is right. I can't say anything regarding the label though.

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Mary Jane.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Agree that this has been fooled with. The label does not look like any I personally have seen in a HC hat, so perhaps it came from an accessory such as gloves, etc. Not 100% sure but not like any HC hat label I have seen.

10. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

The font of the label looks similar to one in the label resource for a 50s dress. The thing about the zipper front is that there is a little hook and eye up there (which looks old and original) which seems weird.

11. Midge

Hmmm... seeing the dress first, I would have said the zipper goes in the back, but those big darts on that side are throwing me... They come from the side seam, right? I'm just asking myself if this could have been altered, and if yes, how...

12. poppysvintageclothing

I see the label you are referring to in the label resource....I wish I knew who had submitted that one. It is a totally different style from any of the other labels that have her name.

13. Linn

[​IMG]

This is a label in a 1950s taffeta shawl/stole I own. It is incorrectly identified as being from a hat. It is from this stole"

[​IMG]

14. poppysvintageclothing

15. Linn

Thanks! I actually wore it! :)

16. poppysvintageclothing

That would be an easy to use item when going to the Opera!

17. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Sorry just bumping this for a last chance confirmation.......so is it safe to say this IS NOT Hattie Carnegie? Should I remove the label? And whatever it is am I right in 1950s?

18. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Tell me more why you are describing the fabric as a "burn-out" pattern. Is it a print? Is the fabric flat?

19. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Claire.....it is not flat it has a slightly fuzzy feeling layer on top of the base weave....not sure if these photos help but i've tried to accentuate the weave.

Attached Files: