1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDENTIFY ORNATE EDWARDIAN GOWN -CALLOT SOUERS?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by helenheven, Aug 5, 2010.

1. helenheven

helenheven Registered Guest

What a beautiful gown - thank you for posting the photo! I have seen press releases for the new book on Lucile - I need to go out and spend some time in bookstores - at least the ones that are still in business!

2. helenheven

helenheven Registered Guest

Brenda - I have contacted Karen Augusta as per your recommendation - thanks, that is an incredible site! So far no reply, but I'm sure she's busy.

I have posted the close-ups of the the beadwork which I believe is tambour beading as Vertugarde suggested - there are continuous thread lines on the back.

Still looking for names of any labels that were active in 1910-1915 from any area that could have produced this gown...

3. Helen, I saw another Lucile gown on our local TV show "Collectors" last night. It was also from the Darnell Collection and was from 1914, it looked a lot more like your gown, as far as the colouring and beadwork goes. So I'm still thinking of Lucile.

You should be able to view the segment here. That looks like the Lucile in the foreground of the image (before you hit play), on the table.

Nicole

4. tammyparker

tammyparker Registered Guest

**BANNED**

5. ajsavely

ajsavely Guest

Are you looking to sell this? I've been looking for a prom dress and this is beautiful.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

Surely you are not serious?

I think I speak for all of us when I say....Here at the Vintage Fashion Guild we feel that something like this should never be worn, it belongs in a museum or preserved in a collection. Wearing it would destroy it. No reputable dealer would sell it to someone who revealed it would be worn to a prom or anywhere else except perhaps for a few brief moments in a professional fashion show and even then only under intense supervision.

I see you just joined the forum today, so perhaps you are not aware of the great historical significance of an antique Haute Couture garment. In time you will learn I am sure.

The thought of someone wearing this makes me shudder in horror!!
    :angry22:
    :jawdrop:!!

7. caresser

caresser Registered Guest

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Definitely not a dress for prom. Why not find a good dressmaker who can reproduce the dress for you? This is a very valuable (and expensive) frock!

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Agreed. Museums compete with each other to acquire vintage couture pieces like this. Callot Souers is a very famous design house.

But you have fabulous taste! And I think Lizzie's suggestion of having a local seamstress do an "inspired by" piece is excellent.