1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying barkcloth

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JojosRetroAndVintage, Feb 25, 2011.

1. So I've obtained a fabulous circle skirt with the most interesting pattern. It seems to be barkcloth but I want to make sure. The skirt still has its original tags and it says "Fasheen Fabric" on one side and "Hob-Nob" Guaranteed washable Sanfordized Residual Shrinkage" on the back. The lower half of the tag is torn so whatever else is there is unreadable. Any thoughts? I will attempt to post an image here.

Many thanks to you all.

2. barkcloth continued

trying to attach a photo.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Linen?

It looks more like hand screened linen to me. Hope others weigh in with their ideas.

Marian

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I right clicked - copied and enlarged it and can see why you think it might be barkcloth. Could you take a closer image, please?

I have seen a lot of barkcloth - and it's become a more generic term than the original which was actually made of tree bark. Here's an interesting bit about it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkcloth

If you want to see a gazillion different kind, google "barkcloth" then images!

5. I agree with Marian's idea of linen - barkcloth has a distinctive weave and heaviness. I actually don't think it would be good for circle skirts as it's so thick.

Nicole

6. yes it may be a kind of heavier rough linen... and yes it seems as though people call all kinds of things barkcloth-thus my confusion. I've only really seen it on tablecloths and mens hawaiian shirts. Here is a closer pic- its a bummer I have to shrink it so much to get it to post here.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

That's barkcloth all right.

Let me post a picture of a skirt I sold awhile back too...

[​IMG]

Would love to see your entire skirt. Neato!

8. Linn

I agree that it's barkcloth - and would also like to see the skirt! Julie - love the skirt you sold. I've looked at barkcloth skirts a few times at shows but they are usually pretty heavy and therefore too "warm" for here.

9. joules

joules VFG Member

Thanks Linn! This one was pretty special, and I was able to get it sparkling with Retro Clean. I have before and after pictures... I loved this one, it was the tiny waist that convinced me it had to travel on, someone new.

I know what you mean, about fabrics best suited, for the warmer climates.

Can't wait to see the nice one above, with original hang tag, no less.

10. bycin

bycin Guest

Oh, Joules...that was one fine skirt. How could you let it go?

ps - are you in a team on etsy? If so and you want me around, send me a link there (bycinbyhand)

11. Linn

I came accross a blog about barkcloth that shows a wonderful circle skirt - and some other great pieces of fabric!

http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/vintage-details/barkcloth

You also might be interested in looking at Full Swing's website. They manufacture reproduction barkcloth and other designs for the interior design industry. I remember using their fabrics in the early 2000's for upholstery and pillows. (I'm an interior designer.) They were "To the Trade" only but it looks like you can buy from them online, now.

http://www.fullswingtextiles.com/viewallfabric.aspx

12. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Great links Linn. Beautiful prints. What a fabulous print on your skirt Julie and I'm looking forward to seeing Josette's.

13. joules

joules VFG Member

Linn, you always share the best info! I'm enjoying that barkcloth link. Thanks for posting it.

Cin, I'm the Captain of the VFG team on Etsy, where many Vintage Fashion Guild members who sell on Etsy, make up the team. So glad you asked! Actually, it is exclusive for current VFG members. I'll post our team link separately, for those who may be interested. That is the only Etsy team with which I am currently affiliated.

Thank you as well, about the skirt. Well, seeing as my days of having a 23.5 inch waist are pretty much history, I decided to let the skirt live a new life in this century. The waist was about 26 inches, if memory serves.

Thank you, vertugarde. It's always amazing to me, the sturdiness of barkcloth, unless it has had strong sun exposure, or been stored improperly. It can be washed, and come through like a champ.

Josette, we're chomping at the bit to see that skirt of yours. :)

14. Linn

I don't think too many of "us" have 23.5" waists now, Julie - maybe back in high school! I'm looking forward to seeing Josette's skirt in full, too.

15. barkcloth skirt

Hey Joules- I'm a member of VFG! :) Yeah, go team! Thank you all for confirming the barkcloth. Glad when I'm on the right track. LOL. That skirt is GORGEOUS! Love the print!Sorry it took me so long to post a pic- I had alot of orders to ship this a.m. then my son's piano recital. Anyway, here is the skirt- did a shoot yesterday morn- hopefully it will attach. If not, bear with me and I will shrink and try again.

Josette:excited:

16. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Super skirt!

17. barkcloth skirt

Here is the flip side of the tag. We put a crinoline under the skirt as it appears to be a true circle skirt. I should measure the sweep.

18. Joules, could I please inquire what you valued your skirt at? Thank you for the referral to RetroClean! And thanks Linn for the links. You both rock! :adore:

Josette

19. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Great skirt. Your model is so pretty and perfect for vintage!