1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying Fur - Help Appreciated

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LaurenL, Aug 23, 2020.

1. LaurenL

LaurenL Registered Guest

Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me identify this vintage fur coat that I own. I’ve had it for a few years now and I have no idea what type of fur it is. It is dark brown and the fur has a nice shine to it. Please let me know if you need any additional information or pictures.

Things I do know about this coat (or think I know):

- Lining is silk
    - Made sometime in the 1950's
    - Originally made by David Schochet and sold at the shop that he owned in Long Beach, CA with his wife Helen. David and Helen were Jewish. His wife's family was completely wiped out by the Nazis during WWII, but she was able to escape. Later marrying David and the two of them immigrating to the USA. I know this isn't relevant for identifying the fur, but I always love the know the history behind a garment!

1DB66AD2-4F5D-4D2A-9D99-AE0AA7C185BF.jpeg

FB61B72B-0EE0-4346-A0F5-A6AC3D0E1AC2.jpeg

18D1A3DA-EE97-43E5-BE9C-3498792F8A09.jpeg

52EC0F6E-A321-4C2A-A44E-0F91EE0E57A5.jpeg

I greatly appreciate any information you provide! Thank you!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

3. LaurenL

LaurenL Registered Guest

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Is the fur very soft to the touch? Sable is generally softer to the touch.
    It also looks like it could be a very good quality mahogany mink.

6. LaurenL

LaurenL Registered Guest

Hmm it is not super soft, like rabbit fur, but it definitely has a softness to it. I hope that makes sense! It isn't rough or corse feeling. Thank you for your response, Mary Jane!