1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a study on why people get into vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LorrelMae, Oct 11, 2008.

1. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

Just asking.

I wonder where it all started and when.

I think I know, that "hippies" wore vintage. People in the late seventies, early eighties, wore fifties...

What about before all of that?

Pardon me, if all of this has been asked before! (or re-hashed!)

Thank you!

Sincerely, Sandi

2. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I went becasue I was fed up with what was out there and wanted to do my own thing. not copy an era. It was another outlet for my lok.

-Chris

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Same as Chris, really wasn't happy with all the synthetic fabrics in the early 70s and had an appreciation for old things from a very early age. I remember dying a lace curtain from my grandmother as a shawl to wear when I was 14.

4. avamac

avamac Alumni

Hippies started the vintage craze...before them old clothes were used for theatrics or rags. They sometimes did full drag--Victorian, 20s, 30s from the skin out, head to toe, or madly mixed periods, or accented hippy couture w/vintage. Or wore English mod. All pix from the 1960s.....

FRIENDS in Victorian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Charlatans, San Francisco
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pigpen of the Dead channels vintage cowboy biker
    [​IMG]
    Hendrix in vintage Sgt Pepper gear
    [​IMG]
    Mountain Girl in Mod w/Furthur, the Prankster bus
    [​IMG]
    Alton Kelly, poster artist, in mad mix of vintage
    [​IMG]

5. poppysvintageclothing

Great photos MaryAlice, is that you in the 2nd and 3rd shots?

Actually, my mentor in vintage clothing, the lady that I started in the business with when I was 21, was British. She started to buy and wear vintage during WWII in England. She could find much more interesting garments at the church jumbles and charity shops and silk stockings!

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THere is a book on the subject (its a collection of essays by various academics):
    http://www.popmatters.com/books/reviews/o/old-clothes-new-looks.shtml

The origin of wearing vintage of course comes from the poor wearing used clothes. However, not only the poor rewore old clothes. Expensive and rare textiles, like silk brocades in the 18th century or fine laces, were used and reused throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The second world war certainly brought out old clothes for reuse, although they were usually recut and sewn, not worn as is. Otherwise, yes, it was the hippies that started wearing bits a pieces of vintage...

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Though of the hippie generation, I didn't start wearing vintage until the mid 80s. It was in part born out of my love of antiques, which started when I was a child. My mom was a huge antique lover and collector, and my sis & I trailed all over New York state with her looking in all the shops. When I was in my late 20s/early 30s, I started wearing vintage clothing & jewelry because I could get much higher quality for a lower price than I could find in modern clothing. I was going through a split from my first husband and simply could not afford nice new clothing. Fortunately I ended up marrying a guy who loves collectibles, antiques, and vintage stuff as much as I do, so I was able to add to my collection as we hit the fleas and antique co-ops throughout our part of the state!

I still have the first piece of vintage clothing I ever bought, more than 20 years ago--a 1950's cashmere coat that I still wear.

8. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I just wanted to add that MGM studios had a huge auction in 1970 at the same time that Los Angeles was the center of the Rock and Roll scene. There were tons of civil war era outfits and western wear that were soon being worn by the biggest rock stars. That encouraged their fans to adopt the look.

My husband still has a 1920's French policeman's coat from that auction.

9. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Another reason there is more vintage interest and wearing these days is because the clothes last much longer and there is so much of it out there. With mass manufacturing, more was made and the fabrics were more durable - rayon, poly, treated cotton, etc. ALSO, up until recently, most everyday clothing was constructed very well. Another reason it holds up and sticks around. How much of the poorly constructed crap available in most stores today will be around 50 years from now? Who knows.

Regarding everyday wearing of vintage, most 20th century clothes are of a good size - not too tiny like older garments - and the styles mix well with modern times.

I just posted a thread here about what's hot now in Paris. The writer/narrator says exactly what I mean. The hot-off-the-presses dresses are exactly like they were 55+ years ago, yet they are looked at as being the latest style. You could not say the same of the average dress from 1890, for the most part.

Janine

10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Interesting topic!

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of Beatnik women wore dresses from the 20's. Of course I can't remember the source, so can't verify whether or not it's true.

Has anyone else heard/read this?

Susan

11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I never heard that about "beatniks" Susan - I always envision that generation with berets - bongos and black garments. I get the sense that many of us had "dress-up boxes" as children, I certainly did. Mine had great shoes, flapper dresses, etc. and I think that gave me a start.

In the early 70's I only wore 40's dresses because the prints were so great and the style so slimming.

12. hautecountryvintage

hautecountryvintage Registered Guest

great topic!! those pics are outta site Mary Alice :)

i grew up playing dress up out of one of my Gramma's closets (gotta looove the quality & plain ol fabulousness of 40's/50's garb) i started actually "wearing" vintage in the 80's, primarily my Papa's black cashmere coat, early 50's, plain, double breasted, snuggly warm goodness - I can't tell you how many times random people stop me to ask about it and a few even tried to buy it off my back LOL

i still wear it!

13. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

grew up with a pack-rat grandfather, so "old stuff" was nothing foreign to me.

I always did a lot of my shopping at thrift and junk stores - there used to be this great store in Laguna Beach (where I grew up) called Old Glory.
    Gah. I loved that store.

there's still another oldie there called Tippicanoes - but it's always been a bit more "costumey" for me.
    Anyway - I know I was already shopping vintage by Junior year of high school as that's what I wore to my prom - the previous years I recall being so annoyed with the selection of prom dresses and getting the distinct feeling that there were just SO many of these dresses out there. Ugh.
    Right around that time I also started doing Rocky Horror and was always on the lookout for custome pieces for the show - I'm embarassed to say how many beautiful items I must have ruined in these years! LOL!
    But -- my love of vintage continued and I also continued finding more unique stuff for myself on my hunt for costumes.
    And... here I am today! LOL!

14. TresChic

TresChic Registered Guest

maryalice- i love those photos!!

:money:
    im a student so my budget restricts me to mostly high street shops. but i get annoyed that everything is synthetic/ of poor quality...and i cant walk down the street without recognising where everyone gets their clothes- the high street repeats designs all the time

so vintage gives me affordable, unique, quality clothing...AND THE THRILL OF THE FIND CANNOT BE MATCHED!!!! :cheer:

15. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

16. Love this. This topic is soooo interesting on so many levels....fashion, the economy, politics!!

Thanks for sharing those photos Mary Alice, they are wonderful!!!!

17. avamac

avamac Alumni

I'm old enough to have been a 'baby beatnik'...the men wore slightly vintage war surplus; in fact, a lot of them were Korean war vets who had become disillusioned with American BS. Lots of parkas and duffle coats.

Also there was a male contingent of jazz/petty hoodlum people, who tended toward sharkskin suits, white on white shirts with French cuffs, thin black ties, pointy black shoes, black stingy-brim hats, and dark Wayfarer shades 24/7, indoors and out. (a look later parodied in the Blues Brothers)

The universal uniform day and night for the ladies was all black...black turtleneck,skirt, and Danskin ballet tights, black flats or ankle boots. Black lined eyes, white rice powder, no lipstick. Chainsmoking. Very Left Bank existential, but sans beret.

20s dresses? Not here...any kind of 'dressing up' would have been derided as 'bourgeois'. I'm talking late 50s, west coast US. Beat men outnumbered the women 1000 to 1.

18. avamac

avamac Alumni

I'm in shot #3, attempting to pass for straight wearing a modern dress sewn by my mother, rather than my usual disgraceful vintage stuff...only the pierced earrings and lack of 'hairdo' give me away. Arthur is contemplating the chicken in full Victorian drag, including high button shoes, silk hose, and Paris garters. Our son Simon, lately in 'Day of the Dead wedding' is in highchair.

Must be 1967 at my parents' house.

19. poppysvintageclothing

20. avamac

avamac Alumni