1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Victoria, your jacket's construction is sending some mixed signals. There is a lot of handwork, but some of it is a bit amateurish and the buttonhole, even for a faced buttonhole isn't made correctly. That doesn't mean that it isn't a fabulous design, it does mean that it isn't a high end designer. My thought is a very good home sewer and probably a copy of a designer garment. The design could have been from a traditional pattern co. or a designer pattern sold through a newspaper.
    Here are my reasons for this. On the lining, the stitches should be smaller and inconspicuous or hidden. The buttonhole should have the facing--the patch put on before the back of the strap is finished.
    This photo shows a fabric or bound buttonhole at the top. The two strips inside the opening are called welts or lips. The lower buttohole shows the wrong side of the jacket so a "patch" would be hidden.

General Info on this jacket. I think it is an Ungaro couture. It has a V-neck to show the dress. The front edges--the V-neck and straight below the neckline have folds at the edges. There is a dart where the neckline ends to shape the facing for the edge. The buttons are not orig. It had lime green buttons, but one was missing when I bought the outfit.
    The second photo shows the dart on the facing.
    This is one of favorite couture samples.
    upload_2020-3-3_7-23-28.png upload_2020-3-3_7-30-43.png

Attached Files:

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Thank you Claire! Learning a lot here as always

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Victoria, thank you for asking. It's not always easy to ask and it's almost always disappointing if the response is different from your hopes.

Your suit provided a lot of inspiration to and admiration from all of us. Hopefully, you and others might have learned more about construction. Sadly, in the U.S., the when compulsory home ec in middle school was cut, we lost the opportunity to learn about garment quality.

In the end, although your design is not by a famous designer, it very interesting and very attractive.

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Sadly that’s true everywhere. I grew up in Europe and remember when I was very young learning basic sewing skills but then these classes were eliminated and few in my generation learned much in the way of these skills. My mother’s generation knows so much about fabrics, garments etc. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of the excitement when someone traveling outside of the eastern bloc was able to sneak in the German women’s magazine Burda which had patterns folded and stapled in the middle. My mother used to make all kinds of clothing from these.