1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I think anyone who has collected and studied jewelry for a long time, will certainly tell you that they would rather see the back of a pin than the front....and, the back of your top hat pin is what makes me think it is not really as old as you think. The back just looks newer, as Linn said. Prong set is not an indicator of age....they are still doing that in China on the new pieces that come in from there. And, if enough moisture gets under the stones, they can easily discolor or dull at any age! But, the pin is cute, regardless of age. And, pieces don't have to be "old" to be lovely....there are many wonderful new pieces today that are fun to collect....the old saying is so true...buy what you like, regardless of if it is signed or the age. The collection of Barbara Berger that was recently at the Musuem of Modern Art in NYC was a testimony of that. Here is a woman who has put together a fabulous collection of pieces.....old and new, but always something that caught her eye!

2. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

I've been studying it for 23 years and I'm still learning!
    I have a newer rhinestone brooch here that I'm sure is from the 70s or 80s and the reverse looks just like the top hat & cane brooch.

3. Adem Daner

Adem Daner Registered Guest