1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Bo Peep has lost her dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Aug 26, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Hi Rosine, checked that link out, yes they certainly have listed it as vintage but as you know, they give no indication of age so people would assume that it's 20years+ being in the vintage category. Difficult to know what to do with this dress and how to price it. Mind you, as Jonathan refers to the dress as very Maria Von Sextrap then maybe I should find a different target audience :spin: :embaressed: :rolleyes: :USETHUMBUP:

2. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Custom couture is pretty hot right now. Halloween is HUGE here. This would be wonderful at a college Halloween party. Last year I spent Halloween at the "alternative lifestyles nightclub". I've never seen Halloween done so big!

Sarah - Are you in the US? New York area??

3. awaywiffairies

I'm from over the pond in the UK, and as I'm sure you know Halloween isn't so big here, I know it's a big event in US and sounds like it's getting even bigger, so if I want to sell the dress I better list it soon, though difficult one to price.

Sarah

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Re. the term vintage. There's a chain of designer wear boutiques in Zurich called "Trois Pommes". They sell the really, really big designer names. Last year, suddenly a shop called "Trois Pommes Vintage" cropped up along my way to work, I saw it from the streetcar everyday. Of course, I was imagining the wildest things and couldn't wait to go in there.
    Weeeell... their definition of "vintage" was... last year :jawdrop:! It's just a shop where they sell off stock left from last year / last season. And still at prices that no normal person could afford (though watching the people who were actually shopping there was very funny!). I spoke to one of the sales assistants, and told them that this surely wasn't vintage, and that it was rather misleading (of course I know it wasn't them who had chosen the name, but still...). What can I say? They did not even know what the term "vintage" normally refers to - and believe me, even in German, if you're in the fashion industry, and certainly even more if you're on the high-end end of it, you know what this word means. At least since Sex and the City...

So, that much for the term vintage.

Karin

5. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

My mom is in Germany visiting my sister on the US Army base in Kaiserslautern. Her husband is deployed to Iraq and she's about to have her third baby!

Any great vintage shops near Kaiserslautern??

Vicki

6. awaywiffairies

Karin, sounds like some people and maybe it's the real young crowd misconstrue 'vintage' with 'secondhand' not understanding that vintage is of an age, not just second hand goods. There's also a shop I know that I was eager to visit cos they said they were 'vintage' but ho ho, of course not, just alternative second hand clothes ie punk, gothic etc. I thought they might have a stash of vintage vintage, but nooooooo. Anything 1 year old as you say...vintage.

Sarah