1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal zip stuck completely shut. Tips?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Don't know if I am going to have to just replace the zip in the end, but obviously would rather open the original zipper.

It is a 40s Jacqmar fabric cotton dress with a side zipper that it is completely closed to the very top and stuck solid. Bit tricky to apply anything to the teeth as they are so firmly closed?

Dress appears unworn... I don't think anyone has ever managed to get the zip undone!! So good and bad there.. any ideas?

2. Joan Kiplinger

Joan Kiplinger Registered Guest

Some of the things that use to work for me:
    - run beeswax over teeth
    - gently squeeze top of zipper to crimp, then pull tab gently up, then downward; this tends to force teeth to separate and release fabric causing jam.
    - pull tab upward, then down; repeat several times.
    - pull tab slightly to one side and try to jockey it downward.

Joan

3. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

4. Hattysattic

Thanks Joan - and thanks Rosine, I knew someone had asked before but couldn't remember where!

5. Hi Harriet!

I've never had one stick completely but I have had some stuck halfway and managed to get it working by rubbing a bar of soap on the teeth.

Let us know if you get this one to work and what method you used.

6. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

l'm sure you've tried everything by now..

but my pennies worth (or farthing perhaps) is to use a cotton bud, spray lightly with WD40 and try that, both sides...

if any oil gets on fabric, it'll come out easily with fairy liquid...as does any grease stain...(spray grease with wd - l know that sounds weird but its worked for me many times, then fairy, then wash as normal)

sorry l digress, cannot help it....

also if rusted WD or baby oil (now now) should help...though sometimes if badly rusted l dip another bud in nail varnish remover then with Wd...sometimes fairy on its own does it...

l suppose its too far gone to try the pencil trick???

7. What is fairy liquid?

8. Hattysattic

Washing up liquid! (soap brand name - but when you think of it in the abstract doesn't it sound magical... and odd)

Am just about to get out the WD40, thanks Sara. Wish me luck!

9. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

LOL...sorry.....thick creamy washing up liquid...

harriet your post made me laugh!!

'think of it in the abstract...'

l wish l could write things like that on purpose!!LOL

10. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

How did the WD 40 work, Harriet? Interesting....I would neve have thought of that. I was going to recommend soap or wax....but you have received those suggestions already. :P

Gail

11. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I remember my mother running candle wax down the zip on my coat, I always had my coat zip stuck as a kid, but that might have been because she had some old candles in the cupboard, and used them instead of soap or wax.

12. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I remember my mother running candle wax down the zip on my coat, I always had my coat zip stuck as a kid, but that might have been because she had some old candles in the cupboard, and used them instead of soap or wax.

13. WD40, who would have thunk that! Cool! Learn something new everyday....

14. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

l ahev used candles too...and pencils though cant see how they worked, must have some sort of residue!

15. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Graphite in a pencil could act as a sort of powder lubricant, All you trying to do is put some form of lubrication between two moving metal parts, just like you put oil in a car.
    saying that I wonder if the zips in mechanic overalls ever get stuck!

16. Hattysattic

Well thank you all so much - WD40 and a pair of pliers did the trick!!

Plus I rubbed it with candle wax for good measure :D , all running smoothly now. I just need to set up my backdrop and mannequin etc. after all my redecorating and then I shall post a picture (now I can finally get it on the mannequin to take one!!)

17. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

so glad the good old WD came through, did you have to use much??

18. Hattysattic

Not really very much - I just had to get it into the zipper pull bit itself which was a bit tricky. I'm so pleased though, I really didn't want to have to replace it!

19. Joan Kiplinger

Joan Kiplinger Registered Guest

So glad you were able to rescue zipper. I never thought of WD40 which I use for everything under the sun, so now I have another wondrous use if beeswax doesn't work.

Joan