1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hello everyone!
    Could I have some help with this hat, please? The style is like a swim cap, what style name is appropriate? (Cloche?) I'm thinking 60s, please correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm also hoping someone can offer an opinion on fur type. Thanks so much! (Pity the hat is on the small side.)

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Yes Cloche and 60's.

I saw the most fabulous Mr John hat earlier this year on ebay - essentially the same as yours but with shocking pink tips and a big tail down the back, like a hunter's hat.

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

4. Yes, I've spent some time looking through it... I'm leaning towards sheared beaver... I think. (I rarely handle furs.)

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, Cute hat. The fur type is Australian Possum. The animal's original origin is Australia but it now inhabits New Zealand too.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Caryn is our fur expert, she knows her furs :USETHUMBUP:

Just a note about sheared beaver. It is the softest fur ever, & so plush; once you have felt it you will know it forever.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with 1960s and I would call it a cloche also. I would not have been able to ID that fur, but Caryn sure knows her animals! I can add that the Jr. line of his hats were created (obviously) for the younger woman, and they were priced at the more affordable end of the scale. So it is unlikely that he would have used an expensive, or a hard to get, fur for that line of hats. You do see finer materials on occasion on the Jrs., however.

8. Thank you, everyone, and a special thanks to Caryn. I've reviewed the pictures and info about opossum fur on this website and that looks like it. Barbara, I know so little about furs that I have no idea which are expensive or hard-to-find, lol!

9. peaceful vintage

My apologies. Looks like there was some confusion on what was previously contributed by others to our fur resource regarding Opossum. It was all described and shown in photos to be Opossum but some is actually Possum. What you have is Australian Possum not Opossum. Confusing the two can be quite easy to do due to the animals being named so closely. They are cousins but Opossum is from North America and Central America while Possum is from Australia and New Zealand. We will be updating and correcting the descriptions and photos soon.

10. Goodness, I didn't realize they were different animals, thanks! Is one fur any better quality than the other?

11. peaceful vintage

Yes, the fur of Possum is a bit silkier soft than that of it's American cousin Opossum. Many people in America think of the Opossum as a neighborhood pest because it lives in the grass around our homes, eats out of our garbage cans, and sometimes winds up getting hit by cars. It was here before our homes and cars were here though so we are really the pests more so than they are. The Australian Possum sometimes eats out of garbage cans too but rather than living in housed neighborhoods it lives in hollow trees, logs, and bushes in rainforests. With that said both the Opossum and Possum are used for their fur and the commercial use of both helps to prevent habitat loss.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  12. I live in the USA and I must say that the opossums I see around here have horrible-looking fur. The fur on this hat is lovely.

13. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Caryn, just to clarify re Australian Possums, they are rampant in urban housed neighbourhoods- often living in roofs.We had 2 species living in our roof until recently, ring tail at the front, brush tail at the back. I see them on a daily basis in my inner city backyard in trees and running along fences or power lines. Sadly I often see them killed on the road as well. They are kinda cute, but at the same time a bit of a pest.
    We have to keep some windows shut at night here even in summer, to avoid the possums getting inside.

14. peaceful vintage

I live in the US too and I have seen many opossums here. They look much more cute when they are not running in the street or stifling through the garbage. Here are the furs to compare though. The opossum has a longer layer of gray guardhair and thick soft underfur. Possum's have fur damage most of the year and while their fur is soft and thick it sort of has a bit of a singed look. Let me show you two photos.

This one is Opossum which is from America
    opossum.jpg

This one is Australian Ringtail Possum (same fur as yours)
    possum.jpg

The difference between the two fur types is much more obvious than the difference in their names. :)

15. peaceful vintage

Crazy. I am sorry about that Gayle. That sounds awful. I had no idea that possums posed as much of a problem in neighborhoods in Australia as opossums do here in the US. I guess it only makes sense though because all of our land once belonged to the animals. They have less and less space to occupy as time goes on. They do look cute though and much cuter than our Opossums but I am sure after experiences like that the thought of them being cute wears off.

16. Yes, Gayle has it right: possums are treated like vermin in Australia. They're native animals, marsupials and cute but they cause problems. I once lived in a 3rd story apartment and woke up in the middle of the night to find one had broken in through my window (flyscreen) to munch on the fruit bowl! I'm happy to share with them but a lot of Australians are very anti-possums. They have nice fur though and can often look a bit like cats.

You can see some pics here on Wikipedia.

N

17. peaceful vintage

So, let me ask this. Being I do not live in Australia I can only rely in part on the history and nature of the animal as it is written. I am glad we have some Australian residents posting who have some personal experience with possums that live there although I am sorry they are pests. They are a nocturnal animal. They are active during the night and sleep during the day. Have you only seen the possums during the night when they were active or have you seen them sleeping on the roof or elsewhere in your city neighborhoods during the day?

18. You're right: nocturnal. You don't see them during the day. Mostly they live up trees in back gardens and parks and - if you're unfortunate - in your roof. There are lots in Melbourne and one park in North Carlton in particular is full of them! They destroy the trees so the councils put "possum guards" around the trees so the poor little critters can't climb them.

They do have their fans though and if you visit a park at night you'll generally see a bunch of people with their kids feeding them by torchlight and taking photos. They're easily frightened though, especially as dogs like to chase them and will scurry away very fast if they feel threatened.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  19. peaceful vintage

Alright, thank you for that information Gayle and Nicole. It's not needed for me to identify the fur type but it definitely helps me to gain more information about the animal. I think I would be terribly frightened if any animal got in my roof. I am scared if a little bug flies in the house. I do understand them sleeping in roofs though. It might be similar to sleeping in a hollow tree. I think people feeding possums may also make them more comfortable treading onto the property of people for food or shelter.