1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first attempt at reweaving, and what kind of check is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Not that long actually. I spent an afternoon, mending at least 6 holes? And I'm sure it gets quicker with practice.

Like I said, apart from having to match the pattern, this is quite a forgiving fabric to start learning on.

I think I'll call it a giant novelty houndstooth - that's a good description.

And thank you! Maybe I can start charging for it in time...

EndlessAlley likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, great work! Hats off to you! I've done my bit of mending, but never looks as nice! I've a vintage jacket that has had some serious reweaving done on it - a nice fine grey wool. Looking at it and imagining the work that went into it boggles the mind!

Karin

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Wow! Would you like a winter vacation in the desert to work on some of my projects?

I looked at your colors and think they were probably woven, but Linton Tweeds invented a way to dye fabrics in multiple colors. This allowed them to weave a pattern in a colorway, then dye it to create different colorways.
    Claire

4. Retro Ruth

Claire you flatter me! Your projects must involve very fine fabrics.

I have to say though, having tried this, I want to do more and hope to get properly skillful at it, so I can do this on finer fabrics. I found it so satisfying. The next hole to fix is in a fine rayon, which will be a whole different kettle of fish I think.

That sounds incredible the Linton Tweed technique. This pattern certainly seemed to be woven in, not dyed. It's made of four different coloured yarns - two solids, a dark brown and a tobacco brown, and two marls, a green made of two slightly different greens, and an orange made of a dark orange and a peach. I love the fabric with the autumn colours, the novelty weave making up the 'wild' houndstooth. The jacket was undamaged but I just had to rescue the skirt - I couldn't give up on it so I decided to try reweaving.

The suit is home sewn as far as I can tell.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Ruth, I have a jacket to send over to you, when you are ready to take on work!:)

6. Im late to this thread but just want to say how impressed I am with your weaving. You have inspired me to have a go.:)

7. Retro Ruth

Thank you Linda! I really recommend it.

8. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Beautiful job!

Melody

9. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

That's interesting Claire. I wonder if they treated some of the fibers to be dye resistant (along the lines of resist dying) except instead of applying the resist chemical or wax to the surface they added it to some of the fibers before weaving. VERY intriguing I would love to know more.
    Melody