1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with era and origin on this fine knit 20's ? wrap with glomesh style embellishment?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katie, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Maybe I can add a little info to clear up the spelling issue. The shawls were named for the Assuit region of Egypt in which they were made, so that would be the correct spelling.

Lovely shawls! The belt is interesting and reminds me of a scrap I had somewhere but I can't add any info for you either.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Nicole, sounds all great! I am usually not around the corner :duh: , but I work as a sales & operations agent with a big touroperator here - and incidentally I changed departments this spring - from North America to Australia/New Zealand and the Pacific region. Today I got the news that I might go on a fam trip next April that would take me to Melbourne too (never been there - been mostly to W.A. so far...). I don't know though if I'll have any free time there. Fam trips are usually filled up with hotel inspections, excursions and such. Well, we'll see. I'll keep it in mind!

Karin

3. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Hi all,
    Oh my goodness, the info just keeps coming!
    Thanks to TrickVintage for making me wonder if I should dare to make one into a dress! Hmmm, seriously pondering now :)
    Katie

4. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Merchants from Sind and the western part of India were trading with Arabs from about the 8th century and Assuit cloth was being exported so it could well be that the shawl was purchased in India. ( Ref. The Global world of Indian Merchants 1750-1947: Traders of Sind from Bukhara to Panama by Claude Markovits). The shawl is machine net and that would likely date it from the 1920's.

The sash looks earlier i.e. just after WW1 - c1916.

5. Jo-Ann Doherty

Jo-Ann Doherty Registered Guest

Hello all, I recently purchased a lovey 1920's Assuit top, I was wondering if anyone knows of any collectors as I'm thinking of selling. It's gorgeous but would be wasted just sat in my wardrobe. Thanks in advance for any advice :)