1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest New Old Stock Levi's Ever Found?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 39Mopar, Mar 7, 2009.

1. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

Oldest New Old Stock Levi\'s Ever Found?

Hi All,
    I just joined your forum today and have a question for a expert, hopefully.
    What are the oldest pair of new old stock Levi's ever found or sold. I know about the used pairs of the late 1800's. Anything like a 1937 pair of buckle backs or a early 50's pair of 501G XX's, both still with tags...I've emailed the Levi historian, Lynn Downey, that may take weeks for an answer. I'll put up a couple of pictures of both pair. My buddies family has sold Levi's for 85 years, he was shreeding some really old reciepts his dad had kept,on the same shelf was a old shipping box, both pairs were there and perfect. I know my jeans pretty well, but whats a "G" code..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

To have the provenance or history to an item of clothing or almost anything for that matter is so important so when I read shreeding (shredding?) old receipts I shook my head. Keep as much information as possible and that is reasonable pertaining to the stock that was sold in the store. It all helps to date and value vintage clothing. Keep those shipping boxes too!

3. atticville

atticville Alumni

Back Buckle Sweet! Hope to hear more, as I need to learn!!

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Wow - that is quite a find. In that first pair I wonder if the G had something to do with that BIG waist.

I don't know if you have seen THIS SITE ?It is translated from Japanese. Go over to the left and click on "detail" and then you can look at 501 Levis.

And I imagine you saw THIS STORY ?

5. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

Wow!! Great!! Definitely old!! What is the number on the backside of the top button?

6. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

Great story, I had not seen it, thank you. Over the last year or so, we have been going through the old stock, researching and selling it. I think the best, funniest thing,we opened a box, full case of mens jocks from the early 60's, after laughing a while, I listed one pair, 38dollars, the rest sold for between 35-38. It never ceases to amaze me what will sell. As far as the reciepts, they were sales slips, not invoices,no clothing info on them. I'll take some new photo's inside, there's still a clean Saddleman statue, the coorogated long wall signs from the 50's, a great Lee clock and so on. I found 4 pair of Lee riders, early ones, fallen behind a shelf, still bagged and perfect, they fetched between 8-11k each. A couple of cool pair were kids Levi's, they had a Branding patch on the back, the store has a branding iron and would burn the kids initials in to. We have saved some great boxes, even a Blue Bell one! At one time, they sold sporting goods too, we found a complete case of Wilson autograph series bats from the 60's and a case of Promo bats made of Fiberglass from the same era, even the Wilson folks couldn't help me with them. Anyway, I very much like finding vintage clothes, it's great fun. Thanks for any help..

7. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

:wow22:

i wanna come play in YOUR store ;)

I know virtually nothing about old jeans - it still amazes me what old jeans & work clothes go for.

8. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

Kristine,
    Know anybody that likes the 70's Panatela line or polyester stuff? We have womans bells, Arnold Palmer looking plaid mens pants, cool Lee jackets and much more. I listed a few last year, minimal interest, I think their more a "you have to see in person" type pants..I'll get some more pics on Tuesday..

No back button numbers on either pair, but both do have ink numbers on the backside of the pockets and material Levi white authentic labels, never seen that before..Course, I've never seen pairs this old still new!

9. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I don't think i know what 70s Panatela stuff looks like!

I know what you mean, though, about things that have to be seen in person. I used to sell online online and now that I sell in person in a B&M storefront, it's a WHOLE different ballgame!

10. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

You have quite the treasure box there!
    I don't see the G you are referring to, was it just on the receipts? Could it have been for "girls"?

If you have multiple pairs, I would make sure to list them one at a time to drive bidding. You don't want to split your bidders.

11. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

Hat Feathers, look at the second picture, the leather back label, see the stamping 501GXX...

12. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

Hi Again,
    Well it's Tuesday and I promised some cool pictures from the store, just a small sample of whats left, at least thats what I thought. Whille rummaging for original invoices, I came across two large boxes, way way under a shelf. I don't have pictures yet of this new stuff, but I think I almost had a heart attack..I need to go through at least 3 dozen pairs of jeans, 50's letterman sweaters and a couple of jackets, all new old stock...I'll post pix of them two..
    Saddleman statue
    [​IMG]
    Two large ad posters from the 50's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's several pairs of Big E whites
    [​IMG]
    Bells
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of Lee's
    [​IMG]

13. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

I wanted to add a couple of pictures of what I found today. Anybody figure out my deadstock question yet? How about the oldest pair of Blue Bells deadstock or Lee Riders, cause I got em....
    This pair of LEE's has crotch rivet, donut buttons and selvedge.
    [​IMG]
    This pair of youth Riders has an extra leather patch where the store would use a Lee brand and burn the kids initials..
    [​IMG]
    Wrangler Blue Bells with crotch rivet
    [​IMG]
    LEE Riders
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/68RATVT/108.jpg[/IMG]
    Inside the Blue Bells
    [​IMG]

14. Buckarooandco

Buckarooandco Registered Guest

I know nothing whatsoever about any of them, but I am in awe of all you've found.

I would love to be the one who could go through a store like this....

::::sigh::::

15. 39Mopar

39Mopar Guest

These kind of stores are still out there, I know of two more, not with as much gold. One in a really really small town, I happened across while taking a drive, she had a Buckle back big E jacket on the RACK, no tags left, she said it didn't fit the person and they returned it. It was only a 34, so small, but in freakin perfect condition, I paid tag price for it, 10 dollars. Honestly thought it was a knockoff at first, but nope.
    Anyway, they are out there....Keep digging, it will happen..:excited:

16. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

holy cow! what a great lookin place!!

17. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

:wow22:
    That's all I got!

18. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

This must be what horny teens feel like when they look at dirty pics. DROOOOOLLLLL....ME WANT!! PANT PANT PANT. (hee hee, pants for pants :P )

19. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

20. avamac

avamac Alumni

WOW...HOW? WHERE?