1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help authenticate vintage Chanel suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Oct 6, 2011.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Hello,

I need some help authenticating this suit. Am I correct that it is 80's?[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Oh, and should I have it dry cleaned? There are some light stains on the skirt.

3. It's a bit hard to authenticate from a few photos, but I agree that this suit is likely to be from the late '80s. If it needs cleaning, dry cleaning would be best, but stains may not come out of wool (I'll assume it's wool - or is it denim cotton?). Are there any other labels especially fabric, care, country of origin?

The labels are similar to the '80s/late '80s ones in the label resource, but I must say that I'm surprised the two labels (one in jacket, one in skirt?) are different. It suggests that they weren't originally a suit, perhaps someone mixed and matched.

4. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

I was surprised it was denim! (or denim looking) Very Dallas (the tv show and likely the city as well) alas I know nothing about Chanel.. but someone will pop in

5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

The suit is cotton denim. There aren't any other labels. It does make sense that they were probably separates.

6. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I posted pictures on the vintage fashion board on ebay. There are some that are questioning whether this outfit is authentic or not. I don't want to list a copy so can anyone help? I got the suit in a box lot. I paid pretty much for the box because of this outfit.

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The different color might have been done because dark garment get dark labels and light garments get light labels, but others here would know if that would still be done in a suit or set.

Hollis

8. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I am no expert in Chanel but any means so I can't really advise, though something seems off. Wouldn't a Chanel suit have a much nicer finished edge treatment on the inside? I find the two labels odd and a little messy looking also.

Here is an ended eBay auction listed as a jacket from the 1980's resort collection, link broken after com; http://www.ebay.com /itm/Chanel-Vintage-White-Denim-Jacket-Excellent-Condition-/180650633387?pt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&hash=item2a0f9de8ab

What I notice is superior workmanship on the eBay jacket and notice the label? Is your set impeccably make?

Julia

9. I would be very wary of listing this suit as authentic - it's not well made, is from the era when designer fakes first started and the labels are not sewn on well (I would expect the label to be folded and stitched where the lines on the side are). It's also very odd that there aren't any other labels - there should be at least one label with size, fabric content, care instructions and country of origin.

It also lacks the essential elegance that we associate with the Chanel name.

You may like to see if there is someone you can take the suit to for authentication.

10. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I believe there was such a tag. It you look at the large black tag, you can see white where there was something clipped off.
    I'm really bummed. Would you know where I could take it to have someone look at it?

11. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I am no expert either, but I just don't get a Chanel feeling from these pieces. Are they lined? I would assume that any piece by Chanel would be lined.

12. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I live in the St. Louis area. Are any of you close by that would be willing to look at it or know someone that will? Maybe a business that specializes in vintage in the area? I would hate to give a real Chanel to Goodwill.

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If there is a local Chanel Boutique, they may be able to help you or suggest a Chanel store that can authenticate for you.

Hollis

14. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

check the backs of the buttons and see if there's a chanel stamp or mark on them. not foolproof, as i've had authentic chanels with buttons that weren't stamped on the backs, but if it's there, chances are it's authentic.

the lack of fiber/size/season tag is usual. ever since chanel started putting those honking big fiber/etc tags below the labels, people cut them off. they're itchy and bothersome. i think i've only had a few that still had them on. i believe that started either in the 80s or later 70s, and onward.

i've never seen a denim chanel before, but then denim was awfully big in the 80s and it would work well for spring/summer collections.

15. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Thank you, Jonathan!! You, sir, have made my day! Do I have your permission to share your comments (anonymously, of course) with the vintage board on ebay?

16. joules

joules VFG Member

Just to add, I like this suit, and I think Jonathan is on to something. It does have a Karl 80s look.

In the St. Louis area, I might be inclined to take it to Saks and/or Neiman's at Plaza Frontenac; there may be some old-timers in the Chanel dept. who could offer an opinion. Maybe.

Oh wait, there is Chanel at that mall now. I'd go there.

17. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I am still questioning the irregular placement of the labels as well as the color changes. Do you see how the black label is sewn above the seam line? Also, if this is a suit that was sold together or from a collection ready to wear, etc. I can't see how the labels would differ. That said, in this link you can see a very similar suit with a striped lapel from Lagerfelds 80's collection I believe (break after .com) ; http://forums.thefashionspot.com /f116/chanel-karl-lagerfeld-1983-present-78120-11.html

Jonathan, you are right, Karl Lagerfeld was brought in to revamp but also to invigorate the glamour and high end status of Chanel. Maybe the labels thing is neither here not there and I am too suspicious.
    For myself personally, I would not be satisfied until I had an in person confirmation from someone at Chanel or someone who is an expert. Sorry to be wary. I just remember all too well the Chanel copies all over the place in the 80's.

Julia

18. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hahaha! Chanel employees, the height of Hoity Toity all around. Not only on the clothing, but at the dang perfume counter at Nordstrom. But that's a whole nother story.

Julia

19. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Okay, friends. Here is my dilemma. I took the suit to the cheap cleaners down the street. They suggested laundering vs. dry cleaning but because the care intructions were cut out, they weren't responsible. Okay, fine. I decided that since it is, afterall, Chanel, it was worth the extra money to go to a better cleaners. They said they would have the owner call me with his recommendations. He just called me back.
    1. He didn't think that dry cleaning would remove the stains
    2. He could launder it, but he wasn't sure the stains would come out
    3. Pretreating the suit by soaking it in a safe bleach before washing could cause the blue denim to bleed into the white
    So, what to do. I am convinced that the suit is genuine Chanel and am having a hard time dealing with the fact that the suit might never have a useful purpose ever again. Do I just cut off the buttons and label and toss the rest? HELP!!!

20. joules

joules VFG Member

Hang on, don't panic yet. Could you perhaps obtain another cleaner's estimate/opinion?
    No way should you give up yet, and I would never do what you are suggesting. Yipes.