1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Label Switching

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Coutureallure, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Perhaps my most important blog post ever. If you are a buyer of vintage clothing, read this information! If you are a fellow seller, please help me get the word out by Tweeting, Blogging, or linking to my blog post this morning. Thank you!

Beware of Fraudulent Label Switching

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Excellent blog post, Jody. Your photo samples illustrate your points beautifully.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

4. Great article Jody. I've sent a link to all my Facebook fans and will blog about it later. :)

5. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

wonderful article. it's a pity it's become so important to have this info out there, but it is. great job.

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Very good post Jody.

I have a big collection of vintage labels (I am sure a lot of us do) & they are all in albums. I would never sell them.

7. Excellent - I have twittered and linked!!!!

8. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Thank you for posting this, Jody!

People need to be aware of the fraudulent practices of unscrupulous vintage sellers.:soapbox:

Janine

9. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

I'm really grateful for that warning, Jody. That was a very clear and well-presented post.

Not that I'm in the market for high-end designer vintage, but its really helpful information just in case (I think) I strike lucky! :)

Who knows - perhaps they'll be churning out repro designer labels by the yard before long? Or are they already??!

Sarah

10. Just written a quick blog with several links back to your article (and website). Great work Jody. It must have taken some time to put all that together. :headbang:

11. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your support!

12. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Excellent post, Jody--a important and much needed reference resource indeed! thanks so much for making it available to all of us...

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

14. GREAT post Jody! Something that we can all use! I will forward it on.

15. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

EXCELLENT!

Thanks for posting that.

chris

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great idea - and definitely something that had to be put out there! I didn't know it was that bad already, but I guess there's always people who think they can make a quick buck. Happens with other vintage things too...

Karin

17. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Excellent blog with very helpful information, Jody! It is a shame that buyers must be on constant alert for fraud in vintage.

I have designer pieces on which the labels are stitched on with thread the color of the garment and not the label. And I know they're not faked; I hope people understand, and I think you alluded to this, that a single out-of-the-ordinary thing is not enough to determine that an item is a definite fake--they need to look for the other tell-tale signs of label switching, especially old stitch lines, sloppy restitching, etc.

18. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

one of the very BEST vintage blog articles EVER, Jody. excellent presentation.

:drinkingtoast:

19. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Yes! Truly Great blog, Jody.

I'm posting a link to it on my facebook today.

Thank you so much. I do look for labels, but I can't say I've ever seen such blatant displays of
    "pirated" ones. Just the nudge I needed to make me pay closer attention & to know those details about how they <U>should</U> be sewn in.

Thanks again. :drinkingtoast:

20. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Jody, thank you! I covered this a little bit back in June, but your post is ever so much more in depth.

I linked to your blog in my blog today, too

Hollis