1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing armpit ickiness..!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vmode, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Vmode

Vmode Registered Guest

Hi guys,

I'm sure this will have been covered somewhere before (does the VFG have a 'cleaning' resource hiding anywhere?), but I'm going to try and remove some deoderant residue from a black faille dress- should I just gently damp sponge?

:)

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I seem to recall hearing of some success rubbing with a (clean) wadded up nylon for getting some of it off before trying anything else.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Ooh yes, I've used that trick for fresh deodorant marks on my own clothes - its very effective for that. You need fine knit nylon hosiery - basically normal tights (pantyhose) or stockings. The fine knit somehow works to get into the fibres of the fabric to lift the stuff off.

I've never tried it on old stains, but it's great for when you realise you've white deo marks on a black t-shirt you've just put on. Certainly no harm in trying.

We don't have a cleaning resource yet, but I believe one is under discussion.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

5. CLVintage

CLVintage Registered Guest

I just had success with using vinegar on a lint free cloth, dabbing into the stain until gone. It was on rayon and had no issues, but I think I have read that vinegar on silk is a no-no, so I'd double check the safety of using vinegar on whatever fabric type you have. Interesting idea using an old nylon...now I have a use for the vintage nylons with runs that I can't seem to throw away!

6. Vmode

Vmode Registered Guest

Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought of using nylons in a million years, thanks as usual guys! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes :)