1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAY WHAT?-Designer Names Pronunciation Guide

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by TheVintagePeddler, Aug 5, 2005.

1. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

ahhh..enfin, et merci bien monsieur!!

2. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

Oh I have seen these files somewhere before. There used to be a website dedicated to haute couture with these on it and lots more. Doesn't anyone have it book marked? I wish it had the reference as to where they came from because there are more out there!!!

3. TresChic

TresChic Registered Guest

Studied German so I am guessing it is 'Gen- ryke'

Gotta check out that site...would hate to have missed pronounced anything...though I still can't quite master 'Hermes' for some reason!!!:wacko:

4. That's brilliant. Thank you!

5. jessejames

jessejames Registered Guest

The tool is very good and I can now discover some good sounds... Wow

6. hollyfrocks

hollyfrocks Registered Guest

Hmmmm..... Romeo Gigli is not on the list anymore. How DO you pronounce his name. Love his clothes, but don't know how to say the name.

7. There are interviews with him on youtube where the announcer says his name. It's quick, but it may help.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Oh what a great site, there a few or more names I know I am not pronouncing correctly...but if we never hear anyone say the word, how can we always know how to pronounce it? Jonathan is right on Schiaparelli. I got the pronunciation from the horses mouth when I recently met with Dilys Blum who wrote "Shocking", and I asked her about that. She said it is Ski-ap-are-elly. And...if Molyneux is "nukes"...is chapeaux pronounced chapUKES? Just wonderin....:wacko:

Time to bone up on my French.

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Interesting reading! Glad this thread was revived

Molyneux pronounced as Molynuks must be an Anglicisation of the name, it would be 'Molino/Moliner' in French. I have a friend called Vaux, pronounced Vorks or Vox (like Vauxhall in London), but the name is originally French and was Anglicised many generations ago, from 'de Vaux', which the French would pronounce 'de Voh'.

My rule of thumb for French is that you never pronounce the last letter!

Schi is definitely a hard ski in Italian though! Ch is always hard in Italian, as in Chianti (kyanti)

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hardy Amies said in his autobiography that Molyneux pronounced his name in a manner that rhymed with the French pronunciation of the word Deluxe (deelooks).

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Deluxe has a e, so it would be pronounced that way in French, but Molyneux, and chapeaux, don't, so it's definitely not said that way in French. I expect Molyneux was making his name easier to work with in the international world.

Deluxe is a great association to make, of course!