1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the craziest Polynesian dress I've ever seen

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by debutanteclothing, Jul 21, 2009.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

the craziest Polynesian dress I\'ve ever seen

This little dress is by "Alice" a maker of crazy print Polynesian dresses. I love the Polynesian version of unicorns and Camelot. LOL.

2. debutanteclothing

check out the bunnies and I have no idea what the bottom animal is

3. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

AAAACK! So Awesome!!!!
    Is the label Alice of California? They made some very nice dresses back in the day.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

5. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

I love Alice prints! Here we've got the unicorn tapestries and medieval winemaking as seen through a 70s lens. SO cool.

6. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Oh I gasped!! That is FAN-TAS-TIC!!!! Oh that bottom animal looks like something I've seen before, I can't remeber it's name though...let me think, I'v seen it on wild wilderness or something like that lol I will try to google and find it!

7. APrizeEveryTime

BTW, the top part, of the unicorn reclining in the little corral, represents the seventh and final tapestry, "The Unicorn in Captivity."

8. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

I can't find it, or anything that looks like it...sorry.

9. debutanteclothing

I wanted to wash it and checked for color transfer. YUP. Would bleed like an artery if I washed it.

10. debutanteclothing

11. APrizeEveryTime

Thanks for posting that link, Sandra. I *did* go to art school, but I hadn't known all that symbolism. Really interesting. Anyone seen the real deal? They're hanging in New York at the Cloisters.

I think that dress will bring a pretty little penny, Sandra, because you've got two markets here, the 70s/psychedelic palette/Polynesian crowd and then you've got the medieval/unicorn/fantasy crowd. And I guess you've got some of the art history folks, too.

Sweet!

12. debutanteclothing

i hope so MC! So Ebay? Or shop?

13. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

On the bottom, standing on the barrel...it looks like a little weenie dog....

(i know...I think everything long bodied and short legged is a dachshund...)

14. debutanteclothing

it kind of looks like a hiyena to me. is it supposed to be a dog? who knows. Isn't this thing bizarre?

15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Far out - that dress is so cool!
    And a nice reference to the unicorn tapestry. I haven't seen those in New York, but the unicorn tapestries in Paris at the Musee du Moyen Age. The unicorn was used a lot in series of tapestries like this, and there's loads of symbolism...

Karin

16. Way too lovely for eBay! :icon_dante:

17. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

wow, what an amazing print! I've seen the Unicorn Tapestries at the Cloisters a few times, but my,, how they've changed! ;)

Are you wondering about the critter way down near the bottom of the dress? If so, could you maybe post a closeup? I can't really see it very well in the full length shot...

And a third category (other than the Polynesian and fantasy crowds) would be the art history crowd! It really is a very neat (ahem) interpretation of an iconic image.

18. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

That dress is A-MA-ZING!

Does the critter at the bottom of the dress have spots? Maybe it's supposed to be a leopard? (Animals in medieval art do tend to look kind of odd . . . probably since many of the artists had never seen an actual, live version of the animal in question . . . ) Just a theory!

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That's a beauty! Talk about art meets psychedelia! I can see Grace Slick in this one!

20. debutanteclothing

I have no idea what to price this if I put it in my store. :clueless: