THE Mary Maxim Thread

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

Mary Maxim has always been about the patterns, sometimes in a full kit. I believe their popularity led to other companies producing RTW sweaters of the same vein. Not everyone had the skills to make their own.
    Interestingly, Mary Maxim is still in business

2. mags_rags

mags_rags Trade Member

Good lord, I wish I knew how to knit. They're still selling some of their patterns from the 1950s. Love this one!
    [​IMG]

3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Thank you Maggie. Appreciated.

I guess my ? on the ones I put on previous page is does anyone recognize these specific patterns?
    Is it correct then to say they are Mary Maxim pattern sweaters?
    I see some on pinterest with this label noted as Mary Maxim?
    I wonder if this company were partners with MM or would add their own flair to the patterns?
    I find similar as this as hoedown pattern?

Linda?

4. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

I don't know if Knit Rite was affiliated with Mary Maxim. Possibly because they are both Canadian. Everyone should read Jonathan's blog piece.

https://kickshawproductions.com/blog/?p=408

It is definitely a version of the 1957 Mary Maxim "Hoedown" pattern no. 484. Here is my version of the pattern. Every time I wash the sweater, the red runs. Which doesn't bother me because it is such a cool sweater. And, it makes me think it wasn't Mary Maxim wool because I have washed other red Mary Maxim sweaters and they didn't run.

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

Edit. Knit Rite was Curl-Rite. Registered in 1947.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...=eng&status=OK&fileNumber=0197427&extension=0

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    GemGem likes this.
  5. foofoogal

Interesting. These are as found but cannot imagine they have not been washed? They have no odors or anything?
    Clean. Thank you.
    Those are amazing to find deadstock.

Thank you. So great you have preserved the past like this.

I did not realize this was such a large company till I went researching mine.

6. lindapoirier

Coincidentally, my best friend gave me this today. Again, this is a MM pattern but Caldwell with what looks like a Knit Rite logo. And, this one is wool.

IMG_2639.JPG IMG_2640.JPG IMG_2641.JPG

I am aware of these types of sweaters. Usually they are Orlon/acrylic. I've seen fish and hunting versions. Miller seems to be s name I remember seeing as a manufacturer, as well.

poppysvintageclothing and GemGem like this.
  7. foofoogal

So Linda. Have you found all the ones with the Knit Rite label have the striped top of the sweater like mine and yours above?

8. lindapoirier

I can't say, I don't collect Knit Rite cowichan-like sweaters. May I suggest searching on Ebay and Etsy to see if they all have the stripes?

9. lindapoirier

I just got this 80s version of a Mary Maxim pattern, "Indian Head". And it is an adult size!

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Midge and poppysvintageclothing like this.