1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Ah, sorry - in sewing terms, this would be the facing of the coat front. I am honestly not sure if there's another term...

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I was wondering if facing was the correct term.

I'm asking because the coat, the right elbow and left cuff has been seriously mothed and was wondering as the facing was for the most 5 inches wide, both sides, I could use some of it as patch repairs.

Then again, I'm creating damage to repair damage.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

To be quite honest, I would not do that, that would damage the coat, even if you could replace the facing wihtout changing the coat too much from the outside, but there might be extra inner layers involved etc... Can you show the damage - how big is it?

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

2 x outside pockets.

Attached Files:

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

The coat has been well got at, a cuff and elbow are pretty bad + a few tiny holes elsewhere that could be darned/stitched and replace bottom half of the lining.

The PoW check really does lend its self well to hiding other small holes.

My thinking being, use the inner front facing folds, as there is a fair amount of spare material to use as replacement for the cuff and large patch repair for the elbow and a couple of other areas.

But maybe I'm just overthinking this, the coat, for what it is has been saved, it is what it is, damage included.

Attached Files: