1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Halloween Costumes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Merchant, Oct 26, 2022.

1. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

as posted on facebook by Hint Fashion Magazine, vintage Halloween Costumes.

FromHintMagazineVintageHC.jpg

brilliant!

electrifiying.jpg

eye.jpg

egg.jpg

bigHeads.jpg

myKindaGirls.jpg

michelin.jpg

found this interesting article about the Michelin Man

and this is my favorite:

brilliant.jpg

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

3. I know I'm being a bit picky, but these appear to be more like show costumes rather than Halloween costumes. Nevertheless, they're fabulous! The ostrich one is ingenious, it took me a few moments to figure it out!

4. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

Fabulous though that ostrich costume looks pretty uncomfortable to navigate in!

5. The Vintage Merchant

I was thinking the egg might be more cumbersome, but then again, some fake legs could be made to come out the front, and then the wearer could have their own legs at a more manageable angle directly below it.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Do you know the photographer of the 2nd photo? Looks like an ex's work... taken in the disco era.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Cin, that is Elmira Humphries, Miss Radio Queen 1939. Don't know the photographer, but I've always loved this get up.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

tumblr_m5acbfg1sm1ro90yxo1_500.jpg

At the 1931 Beaux Arts Ball, more than a dozen New York architects came dressed as their buildings: [l to r] A. Stewart Walker [Fuller Building], Leonard Schultze [Waldorf-Astoria], Ely Jaques Kahn [Squibb Building], William Van Alen [Chrysler Building, who clearly booked his own stylist], Ralph Walker [Irving Trust Company], and Joseph Freedlander [Museum of the City of New York].

9. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

I love that photo, Maggie, and the idea that these accomplished architects would actually do this! (though they don't exactly look like they are having a "ball"!) Chrysler is my favorite NYC building and costume in the photo. Thanks for sharing!

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

This Halloween costume photo is vintage, but personal. Estimated year: 1988. It's me, I'm living in a small coastal Oregon town, I'm a pirate. The various pieces are much older - the velvet jacket with gold leather appliques was a trunk sale find from a major costume house in Chicago. The blouse - 50s satin with a lace jabot collar and cuffs. The sword - one of a vintage lot DH and I bought in Chicago and took with us to Oregon. The hat - 40s. If you have looked at my avatar, you may recognize it because I still own it.
    Halloween-PirateMaggie.jpg

11. The Vintage Merchant

12. ElenaDen

ElenaDen Registered Guest

Wow, that's interesting!

13. pink pineapple

pink pineapple Registered Guest

wow! the looks amazing. people these days are too creative.