1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What era do you suppose this Vintage Aigner is from?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by melindamilkshake, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Another tip I have learned is that the standard color in the 60s and into the 70s was more of this burgundy that had brown/cognac/warm tones like the one shown. THe later bags (80s) were burgundy but the color had more of a wine/cool undertone if that makes any sense at all. "bad" photos of the newer bags (too dark or crazy with the flash) make them appear more red or more purple than they are.

2. melindamilkshake

melindamilkshake Registered Guest

A wealth of info here!

Thank you so much for all of your input!

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I was trying to pin this down yesterday and was searching the newspaper archives. There are ads from 1956 for Etienne Aigner + handbags - so I'm not sure about the brand changing names in the mid-'60's. I did not find this exact bag but agree (with many) that this bag is from the '60's. I think it's from around 1964 from the shape and the structure. I found one woven bag from 1967 with the same top handle and the wording "accented with mahagony hand-stained leather." when I searched "Aigner hand made."

Most of the ads didn't show the signature BUT all that did showed it in script. I agree this bag is original and not a re-issue.

Linn

4. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i can't see it being from the mid 60s. that deco-inspired font would have looked very out of place then. whereas in the late 60s and early 70s, it was all the rage.

i agree, it's not a reissue. this bag definitely has age. also agree it's gorgeous and someone's going to love it :)

5. joules

joules VFG Member

As it's a German firm, I wouldn't be surprised to have seen that font in the 60s. Fun to try and puzzle this one out...

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Mahogany...that was the color name I was looking for. I have never seen the font either, but you never know...

BTW, what about contacting the company and ask if they have an archival department and could help with the font question? There is no one on the customer service line right now, as it is after hours, but I have had success once in awhile calling the actual company and inquiring that way.

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Chris's idea is a great one! Oftentimes companies will respond to such questions. I had a Bollman Summit hat once and ended up writing back & forth to someone at Bollman hats, and she dug and dug until she found the information for me....

And the color thing, too, is right. Into the 70s (I think starting in about the mid 70s) you got that cordovan or oxblood color that Aigner seemed to make everything out of--shoes, bags....