1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to sell 30s/40s fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caroline Burr, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Caroline Burr

Caroline Burr Registered Guest

Hi,
    I have fur dating from I think the 30s / 40s from my grandmother. A hat made out of mink tails, some mink tails and a stole (?scarf with a hole to tuck it into). I’ve no idea what to do with them.

I assume it’s ok to ask advice about selling as not trying to sell them here? Where is the best place to sell?

I have uploaded a photo so hope that will show.
    Thank you in advance for any advice. I just want them to go to someone who wants them.
    Many thanks

2231E1BF-BB78-4A03-AEEC-B8E2DCE804DB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Fur is a tough sell these days but certain pieces - like the hat and scarf here - are classic with people who wear fur. I would try to sell on Poshmark or FB Marketplace. Or in a FB group dedicated to vintage. The mink tails I'd just donate if I couldn't sell on eBay as supplies.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

May we see the coat? If it is 1930s or 40s that is a plus.

4. Caroline Burr

5. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Hi, not sure where you are, but I’m in the U.K. and I don’t usually sell fur.. so when my grandmother died and I inherited similar items, I was in a similar position.

I was quite pleased to find that the local hospice (who coincidentally had looked after her, so seemed appropriate!) had a vintage section in their charity shop, and were happy to take the items to sell.

If it’s easier to donate you may find something similar near you?

Otherwise, agree with @bycinbyhand that there are fur sellers on fb if you wished to find a home for them that way. Or if not, a vintage clothes shop near you they could possibly direct you contact wise.

6. Caroline Burr

Thank you @Hattysattic. Had not realised charity shops would take fur!

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Happy to help if I can. Fur has gotten so tricky, I've stopped selling it for the most part. I have just a few in the shop now.

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The last time we had a discussion about fur that couldn't be sold for one reason or another, a few posters suggested contacting local animal rescue groups to donate - IIRC, abandoned baby animals (puppies & kittens presumably) rest better nestled into fur than blankets.

Hattysattic likes this.
  9. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I think as quite a few charity shops now have vintage sections, and those branches would maybe be more inclined to do so.

10. DecadencePast

DecadencePast Registered Guest

Please don't "flame" me here; but when I've found furs in the past that were not necessarily in great shape, I've also sold them as "crafters/cutters".

That said; I'd hate to see nice, sound pieces turned into doll clothing and teddy bears; but animal(s) were used for those pelts and I hate to think they gave their all in vain if the pieces can still be cherished or loved by someone.