1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Lace Suit- Wedding Atire?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mingus107, May 17, 2011.

1. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

BTW, I wasn't suggesting that the "miniature" bride would literally have been as young as I was--flower-girl age--when she wore this, if indeed this was a suit made for an attendant of this wedding. Just that instead of a traditional bridesmaid, this may have been for a young attendant dressed like the bride. Of course, she wouldn't technically be a miniature bride, but I have no clue what one would call this person. I was thinking more of a young teen or slightly pre-teen aged girl in this, not a six-year-old. Maybe "bridesmaid" would be correct. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Quite the mystery, this! Maybe the double wedding theory is correct--it works all ways if that is the case.

2. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

that's very interesting, anne. i've never heard of a miniature bride before either. i wonder if it's a regional thing?

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Joan, I don't know if it's regional, cultural, or what, but if you google the term, you'll see that it apparently is not an uncommon thing. They actually sell dresses called "miniature bride's dresses."

As far as I can remember, it is exactly like being a flower girl, but you are dressed in a gown like the bride's. I guess it's like a bridesmaid/junior bridesmaid parallel: bride/miniature bride.

4. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

Ok, folks! Updated pictures. I turned the jacket around properly (thanks, ladies!) and the suit is adorable. I tried to capture the scalloped egde and sheer sleeves the best I could. I need a photography class- big time! The larger suit seems to be made from a softer, less delicate lace, but the style isn't nearly as cute (IMO). Sheer sleeves, buttons down the front, skirt had a metal zip in the back. Both suits appear to have been made in the same time frame. The interior construction looks similar.

Double wedding, miniature bride, a bride with a serious case of the bloat? I guess we'll never know for sure....

5. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

sorry, I forgot to add the picture of the jacket turned around.

6. jannypan

jannypan Registered Guest

could this just have been an actual wedding outfit? it is rather gorgeous. with a little pair of kitten heels and a small posy lol!

7. sMarie

sMarie Registered Guest

It's beautiful, I could totally see a bride wearing this. Especially as an older bride, as was mentioned before.