1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you please assist me with fabric and print type on this 20s dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jun 18, 2011.

1. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Can you show a close up of an inside side seam and how the inside neckline is finished? Can you tell if the silver thread is lame (accent on the e) or Lurex? If you pull Lurex it has a bit of a stretch to it. You should be able to find a loose thread on the hem. Those armholes are really cut deep.

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, The silver thread is Lame. I pulled on a loose strand and it was not stretchy at all. Here are close ups of the inside of the neckline and side seam. The thread is a little difficult to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I can't possibly comment on value, but I found another 1920s dress said to be by the same designer (hope it's okay to post link - this particular dress has sold). No pic of label though.

http://www.antiquedress.com/item0004.htm

Ruth

4. peaceful vintage

Hi Ruth, That is so amazing. I was previously thinking that was a T but I guess that is a J. Super cool! Thank you!

I am not asking the value of this dress. I am thinking and wondering if having an uncommon designer name on a dress of this from the 20s adds value to a dress and if the fabric silk and lame thread makes a difference. As I write I kind of think it has to as the label partially authenticates it and the silk is higher in value as is and lame I am thinking must me too. This is just my thought though. I just wonder if my thought is correct.

Caryn

5. vertugarde, you're right about those deep arm holes and it's a worry: they could suggest it originally had sleeves, and they've been removed.

I've got several '20s and '30s dresses that had damage to the underarms and I removed the sleeves - they work as wearable dresses but the arm holes are very large as a result.

vgirl, how is the underarm finished? Is it to the standard of the rest? It should have facings in matching fabric if they are original.

Nicole

6. peaceful vintage

Nicole, The fabric matches and is sewn in but the inside edges are raw like the bottom hem.
    Here is a photo of the inside of the one of the underarms.

[​IMG]

Thank you, Caryn