1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might miss this movie

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by denisebrain, May 29, 2019.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

2. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yikes. Did they just show the ending in the trailer??? Or?

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I've no idea Barbara. I have a Google Alert for "wearing vintage clothing" and this movie came up! Interestingly, it is a well-regarded film.

Not my cuppa!

5. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Based on the trailer, it really looks like a 70s-style horror film a la Argento, which makes it kind of kitschy I suppose...I can't believe it even got made. Eek! In a further review (linked on the page Maggie added), the filmmaker describes his inspiration as:

“For me the big influence on this film was old British department stores, and the catalogs, and how thin the paper was, the sound it made, how glossy it was. I think in terms of influences, I guess what I was thinking of was the American sculptor Edward Kienholz — he was a huge influence. He did very uncanny mannequin sculptures. And I think the Herk Harvey film Carnival of Souls; there was a department store scene in that film. I love Italian horror... What we wanted to accentuate, beyond the gothic — the sense that there might be vampires or witches — there’s always this sense that department stores are out of time somewhat,” the director says.

I find it interesting, the film aside, that traditional, old-fashioned department stores could be seen as so much a part of the past that they are creepy/haunted by nature. That, at least, is interesting to me!

denisebrain and cmpollack like this.
  6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Growing up with The Twilight Zone, The After Hours episode is the epitome of Department Store Creepiness!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_After_Hours

denisebrain and cmpollack like this.