1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

identifying and dating asian embroidered robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello looking to ID & date this garment.

there are multiple crests on the robe, a dragon & blue bird on the front. there is a crest in the center of the chest of what I believe is a crane, which is repeated on both shoulders and three in triangular formation on the back.

any help would be much appreciated!
    IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1868.JPG

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Not an expert but I am learning more about Chinese embroidery... I believe this is intended for Chinese use, not something made for the export market. The red colour suggests it's a wedding garment, and the aniline dyes used suggest a 20th century date to me. The cranes represent longevity, and the other bird is a phoenix which represenst beauty.

Aimee likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a beauty! The shape is also a little more unusual as it is cut quite short. It definitely looks like an older piece.

Aimee likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I am not an expert, either. I think it is a top, not a robe and that it may have been worn with red trousers. It doesn't look very large in your photos, and the sleeves seem short so I think it was made for a woman. It is possibly part of what we might call a pajama set - not meant to be slept in! I am not sure how to date it but I agree that it is lovely. I do have some books on Chinese clothing and will try to find something similar.

Aimee likes this.
  5. Aimee likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

I think it might well have been worn with a silk panel skirt which would have had some matching embroidery.

7. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks so much, Jonathan! That's a great help appreciate it as always : )

8. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks so much! Sincerely appreciate it : )

9. poppysvintageclothing

This is the type of skirt I am referring to.

[​IMG]

Aimee likes this.
  10. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Very beautiful! I can definitely see it being worn with that :wub:

11. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

I think this is pretty late, maybe mid-century, though the eight roundels are a classic Manchu form used almost exclusively on women's semi-formal robes from the middle of the 18th Century on. The undulations on the hemline and sleeve-ends represent water waves, the roundish shapes with thorny branches in front of the dragons are supposed to be flaming pearls and it looks like there are stylized bats or moths in the roundel borders. It's a little hard to tell because the embroidery flosses are loose and the embroidery is not very crisp. There are metallic-wrapped threads couched around the motifs as borders. The toggle closures also look pretty modern. The length isn't unusual, just not seen much because the more impressive long dragon robes and such are what capture the imagination and are more important historically, culturally and monetarily. The skirts, or paired aprons, were usually worn under a 3/4-length coat to conceal trousers. It's interesting to always remember the equestrian history of this clothing for context.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Good point - the poorer quality embroidery is commensurate with a skirt we have in the collection that was purchased in China in 1961

Marzilli_Vintage likes this.
  13. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you all for your help! Sincerely appreciate it!