1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BETTE of Newcastle-upon-Tyne..I purchased this stunning item and looking for any information.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melanie Jane Louise, Aug 14, 2021.

1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

6 Ridley Place is actually where Wildes Hairdressing is in the Google Earth photo - half hidden behind that big yellow platform thingie parked in the street :)

Melanie Jane Louise likes this.
  2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Yes, in modern day and this is where it would have been had it still been there in 1961:
    BF04406F-05B2-4A3F-9F94-82BB4990E8A0.jpeg
    I am starting to think Bette may have been on one of the floors above and not a store front
    :) I actually had one but sold it to a friend not too long ago. They are those communication things on ships in the olden days and very expensive as decorative items nowadays
    59869400-AAE6-4B4C-ACD1-D39BDCB2E5A2.jpeg

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Ooh thanks! You learn something new every day x

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Oh Iwas wondering what they were, I wonder if they manufactured them there or just retailed them?

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

By todays pricing of vintage cars, there is a few quid's worth of cars in that photo. :)

BIB, but BETTE was registered as a Limited company, ( EDIT, at least according to the label ), there should, at least legally, be a record of it, I can't find one and that has got my curiosity going,---still delving.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  6. Vintagiality

Agreed. Mine too and I am like a dog with a bone with these things :duh2:

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

You are doing just fine and nice photos.

When you get a moment a photo of the back of the coat on would be great.

The consensus I think so far is 30s-40s-- I'm more for 30s but my dating can be a little off.

8. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

What really messes up any chance of success in Googling 'Bette' is Bette bloody Davis and the word 'Better' - that's all you ever get, page after page after page! :). Oh, and that Midler woman too. She's partly responsible for us running aground!

9. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I am wondering if something a little naughty went on with the use of the word "Ltd", it wouldn't have been the first time in years past.

10. Melanie Jane Louise

Melanie Jane Louise Registered Guest

20210813_191712.jpg 20210813_191712.jpg

11. Melanie Jane Louise

Melanie Jane Louise Registered Guest

12. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Or record-keeping at Companies House is not what it should be, or hasn't been digitalised. I've seen many Ltds on labels I could find no record of.

13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

14. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I agree Ruth but they are not the only keepers of records, I can find no BETTE or variation of including Ltd in the records I have looked at.

This is simply suppositions on my part no fact/s to base it on but it's possible the intention was to start a ltd company, had the labels done and it never happened but used them anyway, it is also possible the wool was being pulled over the eyes of the LL.

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I adore that jacket and it looks fabulous on you. Tomato red!

Melanie Jane Louise and GemGem like this.
  16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I slogged through hundreds of hits in a search for Bette, Newcastle, and Ltd, but the only thing I found was this August 1951 ad. Note the address...

BetteNewcastleAd1951NoSource.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  17. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Well done indeed, the hours you spent. What is the source of this cutting?

So in 51 BETTE is still about, different address, wonder what NCLE stands for, --Newcastle????

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The article was found in a subscription database of newspapers from the UK.

I have no doubt at all that the NCLE stands for Newcastle, as you surmised.

GemGem and Melanie Jane Louise like this.
  19. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks, brilliant piece of sleuthing, what was the Newspaper called the adv appeared in, any idea?

20. Vintagiality

Amazing find Lynne! I have been going down the path of trying to find what was located at the 6 Ridley address over time and so far she wasn’t there through 1916 though there was a tailor Thomas Sadd and also the Piccadilly Costume Co by that time. There are all these detailed directories of Newcastle (Kelly’s and Ward’s) but none of them seem available online past 1916 and I do see they published some in 1929 and a few in the 30s. None available in my paid databases either. Any in yours by any chance?

GemGem and Melanie Jane Louise like this.