1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help w/ 40s Sydonia New York dress for city of paris San francisco dept store

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by victoryvtg, Feb 28, 2021.

1. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

Hi!

I was lucky enough to come across a dress with these labels. The brown script label reading sydonia new york, and the city of paris label.

I was wondering if anyone might have more info on the designer or what types of dresses city of paris sold. I do not think it is a Rappi dress, although i do not know if she had a higher end or couture line

There is scant info on the dept store, and i have only found 1 other clothing by what i suspect to be this brand: link here::

Code:
    https://www.timelessvixen.com/sydonia-1950-s-sydonia-couture-yellow-silk-organza---black-chantilly-lace-applique-gown.html

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

City Of Paris was in San Francisco. They sold mid to high end clothing and accessories. I have had dozens of very well made hats with their label, and a few dresses. Usually fine quality all around.

4. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

I agree with Barbara regarding the fine quality of clothing & accessories - City of Paris closed in the early 1970s. Their building on Union Square in San Francisco was purchased by Neiman Marcus.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Sydonia Goodstein was the owner of Sydonia and her 1982 obit noted the then-92-year-old designer designed from her brownstone in Harlem in the years preceding WWI, then moved to a studio on 57th St in NY in 1920. It added that during the Depression she worked for manufacturers "on SA"(?) and in Chicago, LA, and Montreal. From 1938 until she retired in 1958 she ran her own manufacturing firm--and prided herself on her attention to detail, saying the interior of a dress was just as important as the exterior.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Midge, Vintagiality and MagsRags like this.
  6. Jeffrey Shapiro

Jeffrey Shapiro Registered Guest

Sydonia was my grandmother! After her death in 1982, my mother donated her sketches with swatches of the fabrics to the Fashion Institute of Technology (F.I.T.) in New York. My mother helped draw the sketches, as well as did some modelling for my grandmother

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2021
    GemGem, Vintagiality, Midge and 5 others like this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

So nice to hear from you, Jeffrey. It's nice to know that your mom helped her out as well with her business.

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

We love it when family members of designers and clothing makers follow internet bread crumbs to our forums!

I wish the OP had shown us the dress that label was attached to, especially now that we have some history from both Lynn's research and your personal story.

The VFG has a Label Resource, with dated labels accompanied by historical information, that we continue to "grow" . It looks like we didn't get Sydonia added when this came up in March. Jeffrey, if you have label & garment photos or sketches, I bet the Label Resource team would love to include your grandmother's company, with your permission. @Ranch Queen Vintage ?

9. Jeffrey Shapiro

I will look for a Sydonia label. I found one a few years ago, but I don't know where it is now. This is photo of my mother. The dress was made by my grandmother, Sydonia Goodstein.

Iris Wedding.JPG

10. Jeffrey Shapiro

FB_IMG_1613248253696.jpg picture of my mom. Dress was designed by my grandmother. There was only 5 yards made

Attached Files:

11. Jeffrey Shapiro

This is Sydonia Goodstein (my grandmother)

MagsRags likes this.
  12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Lovely. And how wonderful to have that through line.

Re: your mom in her wedding dress - I am the administrator of the VFG Wedding Resource, which is a dated overview of brides and wedding attire over three centuries. Click the link if you would like to browse.

Anyway, I would love to add your mother's picture to the correct decade, if you can give me the date, location, and permission. Details about consent are included in the first post of this thread
    https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/please-submit-your-dated-wedding-photos-here.73454/

Vinclothes and denisebrain like this.
  13. Jeffrey Shapiro

My mother and father were married on Jan. 18, 1948. They were married at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. The picture of my mom in the brocade dress was taken on Oct. 14, 1961 at my Bar Mitzvah. The picture of my grandmother was also taken on Oct. 14, 1961. You do have my permission to add the photos.

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you, lovely to see photos of your grandmother and mom.

Vinclothes likes this.
  15. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Wow, Jeffrey, thank you so much for sharing these photos!

Vinclothes likes this.
  16. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Yes! Thanks, @mags_rags

@Jeffrey Shapiro, HERE is where to post labels.
    Please do review the guidelines at the top of the thread.
    Thank you!