1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2022

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Ratcatcher2, Jan 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fern and Feather

Fern and Feather Registered Guest

Hi everyone, I’m Fern! :)
    I’ve had an infatuation with historical textiles and garments since childhood. I always wanted to understand how they were made, where it came from and what influenced the design. Needless to say, as an adult my career of 15 years + has been spent in the apparel industry. My personal passion in vintage clothing has led me here. I look forward to learning more from all of you and sharing in the love of vintage!!

thevintagebungalow likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Sharong

Sharong Registered Guest

Hello everyone!! I am Sharon and have always had a love of 50’s and 60’s fashion. I have recently had to clear out my Mother in Laws clothes and came across a large hold-all at the bottom of a wardrobe. Inside I found a selection of beautiful evening gowns and dresses that had been hidden for probably more that 45 years according to the dates on the old newspapers piled on top of the bag! The older generation liked to hoard things. I found a fabulous Mary Black (rare British designer who emigrated to New York to continue her business during the war) coral pink chiffon and beaded dress with a matching cape, a real Grace Kelly style dress. Also, a lime green Robert Dorland evening dress with sparkling band of beading under the bust, and a Jean Patou formal day dress, probably from the late fifties. All in excellent condition because they had been hidden away. I don’t knowledge what to do with them. They won’t fit me but I want someone to treasure them. What can I do?

Madison Leigh likes this.
  4. Midge

Hello and welcome to the Forums, @Sharong . Our subforum to ask questions is here: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-vintage-fashion-ask-questions-get-answers.39/ - best start a new thread per item. We can help with dating and information on designers (please also post photos of the items and their labels), however, we cannot help with valuations or authentication, but gaining more information about your items might help you decided what to do with them (like selling, donating...).

5. Madison Leigh

Madison Leigh Registered Guest

I hope I'm adding this introduction in the correct spot.
    Hi! I'm Madison. I've been into vintage fashion since I was a kid but started shopping for and buying when I was 13. Right now, I'm really into 80's/90's iconic fashion styles and brands, but I'm not necessarily brand fixated.
    When I was a teenager, I was into 40's-60"s clothing. Then, I had a 70's style phase. I still enjoy all these eras and more, but I've recently become very interested in vintage denim. Searching in thrift stores, researching details to attempt to discern when a garment was made. The clothes I buy are incorporated into my wardrobe until I feel like I'm not going to wear it anymore, then I sell or give it away.
    I'm happy I found this resource and look forward to learning from ya'll and getting better at identifying labels, year of manufacture and a broader understanding of fashion history

6. Ultratwist Vintage

Ultratwist Vintage VFG Member

Hi there! I'm Jamie and I own Shipyard Millie's Vintage. I named the shop after my great-grandma (who worked in the shipyards during WWII), because her mid-century house and all the sparkly pink kitsch within shaped my aesthetic and her make-do-and-mend shaped my ethos. My mom drug me to estate sales and antique expos as a kid and I guess I just never stopped! I probably never will. ;-) I've used VFG as a resource for years and it seemed time to finally join up!

amandainvermont and denisebrain like this.
  7. lovehatefashion

lovehatefashion Registered Guest

Hello! I buy vintage clothes and accessories sometimes. Not a lot. It's got to catch my eye AND be within my budget, so I don't have much. I do like to research the heck out of what I do find, so this place has been a good resource, soooo maybe I should join in. Thanks for having me!

denisebrain likes this.
  8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Welcome @Madison Leigh! We look forward to your questions and comments. :)

9. denisebrain

Jamie @Shipyard Millie's, I love your great-grandma inspiration! Welcome to the forums!

10. denisebrain

Research is one of the best parts, isn't it @lovehatefashion? Glad to have you as our guest!

lovehatefashion likes this.
  11. Joanna lumley

Joanna lumley Registered Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm Joanne and I've been collecting vintage clothes for a couple of years. I've signed up because I want to learn more and meet other enthousiasts :) I have the weakest spot for late 60s to 70s maxi dresses and jumpsuits, but lately I'm also very into the 1930s and 40s. In addition I collect (costume) jewellery from the 1900s - 1950s and I'm learning how to sew. I'm excited to join, and hopefully I can contribute as well!

12. SugarMagnolia

SugarMagnolia Registered Guest

Hello! I go by Kit or Kitty. I recently fell in love with vintage fashion. I used to see when I was younger and that’s I want to get into again so I can make my own from vintage patterns. I don’t know much about vintage fashions but I do the styles of the 50s & 60s. I wasn’t aware of this site until today and I’m so happy I found it. :)

13. bopmd

bopmd Registered Guest

Hello! I'm Mathias. For years I've collected and repaired vintage watches, but recently been getting obsessed with thrifting old suits and clothes and tailoring them to fit me and have been growing a rather small collection of suits now. Hoping to learn a lot from this forum.

Thanks

14. Midge

15. Karen Kelsky

Karen Kelsky Registered Guest

Hi, I am Karen, I live in Eugene Oregon and I'm a lifelong vintage clothes and jewelry lover and collector! I haunt estate sales and have recently started selling online on Ebay and Etsy. Just today I found a pristine unworn Yves Saint Laurent 1960s hat at a sale - so exciting! Anyway, my Etsy store is called Paper Demon Jewelry. I'm excited to be here. I have SO many questions about different items I've had for years. I was thrilled to find this site. Thanks in advance!

16. BunnyBelle

BunnyBelle Registered Guest

Hello All,
    I'm Belle. New and excited to be here! Ever since I was little I admired the glamour and style of yesteryear and in particular the 40s/50s. I love to sift through thrift stores, one of my favorite quotes is "ain't no shame in my thrifting game!"
    I look forward to marvelling at all your treasures and learning a few things along the way.

17. Midge

18. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Welcome @karen Kelsey and @BunnyBelle - We have members with all kinds of expertise who are happy to answer questions you might have. And we are all learning all the time.

19. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Welcome @SugarMagnolia, @Joanna lumley and @bopmd /// You have come to the right place if you want to be among other people who are enthusiastic and serious about vintage fashion and accessories. Members include authors of books about vintage fashion, fashion museum curators, stylists, costume designers and of course lots of people who either sell online or own brick and mortar stores. And we're all customers too!

Here are some guidelines for participating, we welcome most any question.
    https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/

Mathias - how interesting that you repair old watches. Many of our jewelry experts do their own repairs.
    Kitty, we have some phenomenal seamstresses as trade members.
    Joanne - did you see the fashion parade featuring maxi dresses?

https://forums.vintagefashionguild....fg-parade-for-the-week-of-november-7th.78727/

Again - welcome to ALL recent registered guests.

20. Ascanio

Ascanio Registered Guest

Hi! I am from Florence, Italy. I enjoy British style vintage timeless garments, specifically coats, trench coats, blazers, dresses, hats and of course shoes.

With so many beauties needing more love, i continuously run out of storage space!

Glad to share the passion with new friends.

Ascanio

Retro Ruth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.