1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD THREAD 2004 -just registered? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Welcome Bee!

That sounds fascinating about the costumes...feel free to post pictures of them here...we are always interested in seeing recreations, too!
    If the museam has a website, or there are any pics of the creations online, we would love to see it!

It does not matter if you sell, buy, or just admire...we are all appreciaters of vintage here. We would love to see your collection too...i am sure you have a lot of knowledge to share!

Chris

2. Waving "hi," Maureen! Warm welcome, Bee!

Steph

3. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Hello All!

I'm a fellow vintage enthusiast from the Big Apple. Been thrifting since High School and now work in the design/fashion field. Recently, myself and a friend have decided to try our hand at selling vintage at flea markets on the weekends here in NYC.

I'm happy to say that I know a bit about the history of fashion. It's the business part that I'm going to need help with. Like how much things are worth and so forth... BTW, who saw the Schiaparelli/Dali "Lanterne" purse on ebay this week? I was absolutely dying trying to hold my self back from bidding! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8111707370&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Cheers!
    Kevin

4. MemphisVintage

MemphisVintage VFG Member

OMG - that bag is incredible! To actually be able to own that!!! Thank for sharing that link, I didn't see that on ebay.

Welcome aboard!!

~ Marlene

5. Hi ya Kevin - welcome to the VFG!! Looking forward to seeing you around often.

Thanks for the link to the purse...yowza...that is something else!!

Visit often!
    Bonnie

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I had heard about that purse awhile ago - how wonderful to see that there are indeed a few out there (even if it is way out of my range)
    Hollis

7. Welcome Bee & Kevin! This is a great place to be. The folks here are great - fun, warm, caring and very helpful.

Everyone here shares info, ideas and lends a hand when needed. It's a great place to learn and also have fun at the same time!!

Welcome, Welcome!

~Cheers ~ Maureen

PS - Blimey on the purse Kevin!! How would you like some of those apples!!:D

8. Ah HA! Here's where I missed saying a proper, "WELCOME, KEVIN!" :)

Steph

9. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Alright, here goes...

I'm Tiff and I'm a college student who lives in Pennsylvania. One of my lifelong hobbies has been flea marketing and thrift shopping, which of course has led me to vintage fashions. Even though my collection is relatively small and I'm on a rather limited budget, I have a fondness for Victoriana, gothish items, extravagant evening gowns, capes and coats. My favorite thing about vintage collecting is the thrill of the hunt. You never know when you might stumble across a fabulous piece amongst a pile of ordinary stuff! Other non-vintage related obsessions include The Phantom of the Opera, model horses, and doing all sorts of artwork. :)

~Tiff~

10. Hello Tiff!!

Welcome, welcome! Although I am a relative newcomer to the board myself, my love of vintage goes back to my teen years (some 20+++ years ago!)

But, Phantom.... now that strikes a chord with me!! Is there anything greater. NO!!!!

Welcome to the VFG. It is so nice to have you here and when the others get back from the weekends holiday, they will wish you the same.

Be prepared to learn and share!!

Welcome again ~ Maureen

11. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Another hello to Tiff! You sound as if you will fit in well here! The thrill of the hunt is what it is all about to lots of us.:)

Lizzie

12. MemphisVintage

MemphisVintage VFG Member

Hi Tiff! Welcome aboard. Gal you joined us here. I think we all agree the thrill of the hunt is what makes it so much fun. Ya never know what lurcks in the next spot!

~ Marlene

13. Weekend holiday, what's that? :P Welcome, Tiff!

Steph
    Thrill-of-the-Hunt Addict

14. kevinjohnnyc

Hey Tiff,

That thrill is what it's all about. I get goosebumps thinking about the goosbumps I get!

Cheers and welcome!!!

15. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Such a friendly board! I'm very happy I decided to join up now. Was a little intimidated by the amount of experience in the hobby I see here but you guys are really nice.

Thanks!

~Tiff~

16. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

<font size=5 color=deeppink>Welcome!!!</font>

to Bee, Kevin (kevinjohnnyc) & Tiff!

I sure as heck hope the HTMl is reeeeally on here. LOL

xoxoxo
    leisa

aww phooey!
    my avatar disappeared. :P:P:P

17. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Kevin and Tiff...great to 'see' you here!

Sue

18. Welcome to nazimus! It's nice to see the Russian Federation represented.

Steph

19. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Welcome Bee, Tiff & Kevin - good to see you :)

<b>Kevin</b> - Where have you been selling in NYC? At the 26th Street flea? I used to live a few blocks away (Chelsea) and shopping there was a Sunday ritual. Back then it was both of those lots (above & below 26th) - of course that was, as they say, "back in the day" (80's/early 90's). It's a whole new ballgame there now!

Have you done well selling there (or at whichever fleas you've been setting up shop)?

:)

Carolyn

20. kevinjohnnyc

Hi Carolyn,

I have not as yet gotten a spot. My friend who was going to set up with me has backed out and with her goes the car! :( I do have a ton of stuff ready to go, so I have sold some on eBay and am getting more ready to put up, but am waiting for the buying to pick up. My stuff was all getting swooped up at the last minute for nothing. So I looked around and I read that it is extremely slow there. I have also consigned a bunch of stuff to boutiques here in the East Village where I live.

The 26th street flea market is still going strong. But now it's down to one lot. Though as you probably know there are a lot of "indoor flea markets" that sprang up in the buildings surrounding that area. There are a whole bunch of new, high-rise luxury apartment buildings in that area and one of the market lots was lost to one. But there are also lots of affluent potential clients in that area now. Come Fall, my partner and myself will have our own car and will be trying out one of the indoor places.

If I get a table this summer (our car is coming in two weeks) it will be at a new flea market that is right on Bleecker Street between 6th and 7th. They close that stetch of Bleecker every weekend and the tables aren't as expensive as Chelsea. Plus they start at 10am not 7am. I need my sleep on the weekend! I saw one vintage booth there and she was doing gangbusters!

I used to live in Chelsea too. 24th and 7th. The building is way too pricey now! Thank god for rent stabilization or I wouldn't even be here! Where do you live now? We were looking at other cities last year. We're always thinking about it.

:)

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.