1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Post Labels for the LABEL RESOURCE Here** 2020 - CLOSED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Labels for the Label Resource - Add here' started by denisebrain, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, odd labels are fine! We do collect label images, then research and write about them if possible, so any info you have is definitely welcome.

Thank you!

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This is a Susan Bristol jacket. The label date is 1995. The jacket was my mother's and I thought it was bought earlier.

3. denisebrain

Thank you Claire!

4. claireshaeffer

Gertrude Davenport
    This is a 3 piece velour jacket, pants, top also from my mother. My guess is bought the items after she retired in the early 1980s, but they could be earlier. Gertrude Davenport is not a trendy manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2020
  5. claireshaeffer

Mita
    Mother had a couple of Mita knits. They have classic shells and jackets with elastic waist skirts. I would guess that they were bought in the 70s. The detail on this one is nice. It had a keyhole placket at CB; the jacket and shell had a knitted design to look like a yoke seam and a couple of horizontal lines below the waist.

Attached Files:

6. claireshaeffer

Givenchy I haven't checked with William but I think this the label after Givenchy retired in 1996
    I have a couple of Givenchy couture pant suits. Mcqueen like the lines of the jacket and continued to use them on jackets after he left Givenchy.
    Another item to check with William is the Givenchy couture label that was used on rtw. I think it began after 96 as well.

Attached Files:

7. denisebrain

Claire, do you have a photo of the Mita knits label?

And @Henry Wilkinson, would you help us with the above Givenchy label date?

8. claireshaeffer

Oops--mental lapse.
    Question about the velour Gertrude Davenport--what is an approx. date for velour leisure wear. Many thanks, I have a bunch more of these odd labels.

Retrieved 7/09

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  9. denisebrain

Thanks!

Velour was big in the 1970s, but stretch velour I'd place more in the late 70s and into the 80s.

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

From a 1970s women's blouse

I did some research and put together a history that is probably too long. Feel free to use, as-is or edited as needed.

Donnkenny began as Nadler Sportswear in 1934, based in New York City’s garment district – they were a blouse manufacturer. After WW2, they became Donnkenny and began making other sportswear items. By the mid 1960s, they were producing a complete line of moderately priced women’s apparel, with a special focus on casual wear, all under the Donnkenny label. They expanded over the next 10+ years, adding other lines like Dunwoodie, Donnypress, Xtrovert, R.B.K., Kenny Classics, Melray, and Durbin. In 1978, the company was taken over by a private investment firm. By 1993, when Donnkenny went public, its best selling line was Mickey & Co., with Disney-licensed clothing for men, women and children. It was also producing sleepwear and intimate apparel with cartoon characters under the Warner Brothers/Looney Tunes label for Lewis Frimel. Over the next several years, the company produced a diffusion line for designer Arnold Scaasi, and a natural fiber line under the J.G. Hook label. They acquired Beldoch, who held the license for all Pierre Cardin women's wear in the U.S. as well as Oak Hill sportswear labels: Victoria Jones and Casey & Max. As of the mid-1990s, Donnkenny was still making about half their products in the U.S., primarily in Virginia and New York, with the remainder produced in China, India, Guatemala, Turkey, and Bangladesh. In 1996, Donnkenny’s CEO was charged with inflating the company’s earnings by more than 100% to keep up with Wall Street expectations, and ultimately pled guilty to conspiring to commit securities, Donnkenny continued to struggle, and in 2005, they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy – their assets, which by that time included Nicole Miller sportswear, were acquired by a company called Pacific Alliance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020
    Retro Ruth, lkranieri and denisebrain like this.
  11. denisebrain

This is wonderful Maggie! Thank you!

MagsRags likes this.
  12. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

I posted this label in this week's Fresh Vintage, but thought it might be worth putting in the Novelty Labels category. It's registered to Zodiac International Trading Corporation.
    From a 1970s blouse

13. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Love that label, Jo! Grabbed it to add it to the Label Resource.

Joyatri likes this.
  14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Just listed some unused old stock from the 70s by Christian Dior

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/829844597/vintage-christian-dior-polka-dot?ref=shop_home_active_2

Beachwear label

Another beachwear skirt with the name running through the print
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/815...n-dior-beachwear-skirt?ref=shop_home_active_4

1960s Linen Floral Skirt
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/815...ior-floral-skirt-1960s?ref=shop_home_active_1

Christian Dior Boutique Hang Tag from a 70s maxi viscose skirt

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/815...n-dior-long-maxi-skirt?ref=shop_home_active_3

RETRIEVED + 6/25 Thank you MJ!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
    denisebrain likes this.
  15. denisebrain

I already know I want those items MJ! :drooling22:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

From a mod 60s sailor collared shift. Research led me to VFG's own Label Resource, where I found that Ladybug was a Junior line for The Villager.

RETRIEVED 6-30, thanks Maggie!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020
    denisebrain likes this.
  17. claireshaeffer

This is a sweater with an Ultrasuede front from St. Croix Knits. Probably 80s.

Attached Files:

18. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Hi @claireshaeffer! Could you please provide a larger file for the label image, at least 500 pixels? Thank you!

19. claireshaeffer

Marsha, I'll try. C

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  20. claireshaeffer

How do you measure the pixels? Here is another try, this photo was taken at the same time as the St. Croix.
    I don't think you want to add this label. The jacket is well-made and it looks ok, but this is a very inexpensive rtw.
    New problem--the file is too large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.