1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Post Labels for the LABEL RESOURCE Here** 2020 - CLOSED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Labels for the Label Resource - Add here' started by denisebrain, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

@claireshaeffer , let's take this discussion to a private message. Please check your inbox.

2. Retrorebel

Retrorebel Registered Guest

I've been researching this vintage label, "Ida Olson" from Stoughton, WI. Shown are 2 hats from the same milliner. The red velvet is c.1920s, the black velvet is a bit older, probably early 1900s. Ida Olson was born in 1882, d.1965, and her shop in Stoughton was located at 700 W Main St.

Rebecca, Retrorebel Vintage

Retrieved for the Label Resource 8/27/20
    Thanks, Rebecca!

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  3. Ranch Queen Vintage

@Retrorebel Rebecca, What lovely hats these are! Would you please post the labels as separate images, as opposed to a collage? If we were to add the Ida Olson label to our Label Resource, we would need 500 pixels minimum per image. Any additional research would be much appreciated, and you will be credited for your contribution. Thank you!

Retrorebel likes this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

From a 50s-60s camouflage outdoor jacket from Herter's

I did some research and wrote this as a possible entry
    Herter's was the first one-stop shop for outdoor products, with a reach that went far beyond the founder's native Minnesota. Herter's started as a dry goods store in Waseca Minnesota in 1893. In the 1930s, George, the founder's son, began selling a wide variety of fishing, camping, and hunting supplies in addition to clothing. Their motto was "Old World Craftsmanship, New World Production", and George, who wrote all the copy for the catalogs, liked to claim that his products were "actually made far better than is necessary". The catalogs ran 100s of pages, and included outdoor tips along with colorful stories and photos of Herter family hunting and fishing trips. At its peak, Herter had six retail stores and mailed out a million catalogs a year. Business declined through the 1970s as more people discovered big box stores like K-Mart and Walmart. Herter's went bankrupt in the late 1970s. The Herter name was later bought by Cabela's, and is used for pistol ammunition and a few other items.

Added to the Label Resource 1/28/21
    Thanks, Mags!

5. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Styled by Loungees
    I can't find much on this one though I do see some robes from the 60s/70s
    Love the dress so thought I would share the label, 50s sundress

Retrieved for LR 7/23/20

6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Thank you so much for the research and writing, @mags_rags!
    Might you be able to post an image of the jacket? It could help us narrow down the date.

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

This is a label for McMullen for De Pinna from a 1960s cotton skirt.

It can be used as a double entry, since we have one for "McMullen" and another for "De Pinna" in the Label Resource.

Retrieved for LR 7/25/20

8. MagsRags

Marsha, here is a link to the listing on Etsy. It's a tough style to date, and I may be off. My younger brother lives in the boundary waters of Minnesota and picked it up for me.

9. MagsRags

Oh. While I'm thinking about it, here's an Arrow Gabanaro label that is different than the ones we have in the resource.

I'm guessing mid 50s, primarily because the Gabanaro ads I've found mostly cluster 1950-1953, and when they do show the label, it looks like the two we have from Pinky a-gogo - the ones with the red & black frame. So I' thinking this must be a couple years later. But not much later - it still looks like classic 50s menswear

Retrieved for the LR, thanks Maggie!
    7/26/20

10. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thought I would update on a Ladies Opera Cloak I own.

I have attempted to find out more from information published, not much I am able to add.

But my thanks goes to Bridport Museum and its deputy curator Margaret Milree for information gleaned.

The Cloak label states, " William Elmes "

William Elmes was a draper and shop owner situated in Bridport, Dorset, England.

Mentioned first in a trade directory of 1880 as Cosser and Elmes, drapers, milliners, ladies’ and gents’ outfitters haberdashery and household goods outlet.

Mr. Henry Cosser was born in Portland, UK 1835 but by the 1870s was living and working as a draper in Bridport, Dorset, UK.

Mr. William Elmes was born in Weymouth, UK, living in Greenwich in 1870s but by 1880s had moved to Bridport, Dorset, UK.

Mr. Cosser had retired by 1885 the business then continued trading as ‘William Elmes’ from 1885.

I have dated the opera cloak during the period, 1885 to 1900.

Mr. Elmes died in 1909 but my research has shown the business still trading under his name later part of 1918.

After that I have little further information from published sources or my own efforts.

However the 1970s saw Elmes purchased by another old, established, London based Drapers company and wholesaler, Hitchcock & Williams.

The "Williams" mentioned, a draper by profession, among other things, became Sir George Williams, Founding Father of the Y.M.C.A.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  11. Ranch Queen Vintage

@Avantbo
    Thank you for this info!

Please review the submission guidelines at the top of this thread, as a few requirements may have changed...

In order to add your label to the Label Resource, we will need a clear, straight, close-up shot of the label, only, that is at least 500 pixels across, as well as an image of the garment itself, to verify dating.

Thank you!

12. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thank you,

The issue now is I have carefully wrapped, boxed and back in storage the cloak, so for the time being would not wish to go through it again.

Could you best advise, I have an image, several, of the cloak as originally posted, ( so can upload one of those ), put only one of the label.

I can assure these forums and its members the label does state " William Elmes of Bridport "

Should I remove my post altogether or can I edit and attach a photo of the cloak to my post only?

13. Ranch Queen Vintage

Oh, please don't remove your post! Adding a photo of the cloak to your original post would be great.

In regards to the label... without a clear image of the entire label, it's not particularly useful. We look forward to having a full image for the Label Resource!

14. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks Marsha

Phew! that's a relief and I will know better next time.

As I will be selling it, before doing so I will attempt to take a better picture, at least more readable and upload.

Meanwhile I will upload an image of the cloak.

MagsRags and Ranch Queen Vintage like this.
  15. Ranch Queen Vintage

@Avantbo Thank you so much! We appreciate your contribution of this rare label, including your research!

16. Metro Retro Vintage

Double labels on same garment for Serbin and Miss Serbin.

Side note: The Sanitone process appears in some dry cleaning web sites as having been adopted around 1951.

Labels are from 60s shirt dress / beach coverup ...

Retrieved for Label Resource 8/27/20
    Thanks, Laura!

gatco, MagsRags, Vinclothes and 2 others like this.
  17. Ranch Queen Vintage

Super-cute garment, Laura!

18. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Laura,

I have a British magazine clipping somewhere, 1948, extolling the virtues of the Sanitone Process.

I did some research into the Sanitone Process some 3 years ago as I have several vintage items, American, recommending the process.

Sanitone is a marketing gimmick name but the history behind the product/process spans 180 years. I have wondered if " Sanitone" is just a play on words of another fabric process that entered the American market in 1930 but I have no evidence of this.

By no means was it the first dry cleaning fluid/process on both sides of the pond but it was from it's earliest incarnation a more effective one and a safer one for both dry cleaners and consumers.

I first came across the Sanitone Process in use from American Adverts as early as 1931/32, from 1935 onwards, shed loads.

For those interested, it all started in 1832 when one Thomas Emery, a Bedford UK man shifted sticks to Kentucky and raised Silk Worms, that venture, as did the worms, died a death. By 1840, Mr Emery Sn went south in his thinking and to Cincinnati, after a while realising he might be on to a good thing having noticed, ( he could hardly escape the fact ) Cincinnati streets and the water front were amok with pigs going to slaughter, ( from the 1830s Cincinnati was a meat packing citadel and earned the unglamourous name of Porkopolis ).

Mr. Emery realized he could turn pig fat into dripless candles and other lubricants, thus was born Thomas Emery's Lard Oil company becoming later the Emery Candle Company.

That companies humble beginnings became one of the worlds largest conglomerates, Emery OleoChemicals, massive, from soap to jet oils and anything between.

To digress, in or around 1890s one Ernest Twichell became head of Emery's chemical research department, he was their first chemist and a brilliant,- brilliant chemist he was, the planet, at least the soapy, lubricant side of it owes this American big time and his endeavours, research and processes one of which, ( while working for Emery ), a bi-product, eventually evolved into the Sanitone Dry Cleaning Process.

Ernest Twitchell did form his own company, " Twitchell Process Company" and his process of splitting fats remained in use as late as the early 50s, born in 1863 he died in 1929.

( Ernest's Dad, Prof' Henry Twitchell, ( 1816-1875 ) wasn't that far behind either in tallent, inventing a superior Chronograph and successfully inventing and marketing a Hydrometer and by some accounts, not a bad astronomer either ).

My understanding is Fabritec International is the licenced supplier of Sanitone.

My thanks goes to newspaper and research archives around the world including the Library of Congress and their Digital Collections.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  19. Metro Retro Vintage

Avantbo, what an amazing amount of research and history you've uncovered! And the story behind all of these genius inventors is fascinating.

I didn't realize that the Sanitone process went that far back in time, and I also enjoyed learning about the accomplishments of all of these talented men (including Twitchell's father).

Perhaps this is a topic that we can explore more fully on the site, and am so glad you posted and shared this information with all of us.

20. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am going to try to add a bunch of millinery hat labels. Start with G H Hodge, an earlier example and not currently in the resource.

From a late 1930s to 1940s hat.

hodge5.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.