1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Post Labels for the LABEL RESOURCE Here** 2020 - CLOSED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Labels for the Label Resource - Add here' started by denisebrain, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

@Rue_de_la_Paix Barbara, that would be wonderful.
    Please review the updated submission guidelines at the top of this thread. We now require images that are straight, cropped and a minimum 500 pixels across. Thanks!

thespectrum likes this.
  2. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Marsha, here you go.

Retrieved for the Label Resource 8/01/20
    Thanks, Ludi!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Marshall & Snelgrove
    From a 1950s fur stole

Retrieved for the Label Resource 8/16/20
    Thanks, Ruth!

5. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Jack Taylor
    I have also posted this in a separate post in the forums on needing some new blog material located HERE

Retrieved for Label Resource 9/02/20
    Thank you, Janice!

Vinclothes and Vintagiality like this.
  6. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Didn't see this one in the novelty labels, thought the label was adorable
    Paper Moon by Yvette
    70s dress

Totally adorable!
    Retrieved for Label Resource 9/02/20
    Thanks, Ludi!

7. Ciara Schmalfeld

Ciara Schmalfeld Registered Guest

Not really sure about Bressler Original, I can’t find anything about it. The other label is Milady which I feel may have been resewn. The date my guess would be 60s due to style and tag.

Attached Files:

8. Ciara Schmalfeld

However this is my pride and joy... Bob Mackie w/ Elizabeth Arden Salon tag. I wore it to the Met Gala in NYC many years ago and it founded my love for vintage. But I am a newbie.

Attached Files:

9. Ranch Queen Vintage

Hi @Ciara Schmalfeld, Thanks for submitting these wonderful labels and showing the garments they're from. Is that you in the Bob Mackie? Fabulous!

Unfortunately, these will be too small when cropped down to close-up size to meet the Label Resource formatting requirement. Here is an example of what we need - a closely cropped image of just the label at 500x pixels (minimum) lengthwise.

9D15C003-B30E-4A90-920A-274A7FC71117_1_201_a.jpeg

If it's not too much trouble to reshoot them, we'd love to have them for the Label Resource.
    Feel free to send me a message with any questions! Thank you!

10. Ciara Schmalfeld

Sorry, I am new. I will try to get that done tomorrow :) I can have a bunch for you but that will take me longer. Yes that was me several years ago with the Bob Mackie on & the pearls were my grandma’s mikimoto pearls, she gave them to me and had no idea what they were .

11. Ranch Queen Vintage

No worries, @Ciara Schmalfeld - take your time, and thank you!
    Your grandma sounds like a woman of great taste!
    BTW, I sent you a private message.

12. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Macy's Men's Store label from men's jodhpurs c 1940s
    Retrieved for Label Resource 9/08/20
    Thanks, Chris!

13. Grace & Disgrace

Grace & Disgrace Registered Guest

A recent acquisition, acquired from an online auction site.
    Chanel ready to wear Spring 2008.
    Was sold as a suit but unfortunately I only have the jacket.

14. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Here are some pics of my Christian Dior New York cocktail dress label, as well as the Saks Fifth Avenue label from the same dress. Appx date is very late 50's - very early 60's, per the dating expertise of several VFG members. :)

Please credit kittenteeth vintage, as I am found by that across most platforms. Thanks!

Retrieved for the Label Resource 9/20/20
    Thank you, @kittenteethvintage!

15. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

In case you want to replace the blurry photo that we have. For credit: Joyatri
    Here's a label from a Dries van Noten dress that I bought new in the mid-1990s

Retrieved for Label Resource 9/27/20
    Thank you, Jo!

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

1980s Kenzo Mens Jacket Pink Silk and Wool Size M L Made in France

Retrieved for Label Resource 10/05/20
    Thank you, Mary Jane!

17. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I submit this to the forum administrators should they wish to add it to their label resources forum.

Attempting to add some information to a post and convinced I owned an item with a Windsmoor label I started a search among my motley collection.

I didn't find Windsmoor but did find "Woollands of Knightsbridge", darn it but decided to do research on Woollands.

My Woollands coat was in a suit bag with another item of clothing, a dress.

I made the silly assumption they both went together and the same label.

Before writing this post, I did check label resources to see if these brands were written of.

Woollands, ( if only all label/brand research was so easy ), is well documented, a Google or Wiki search will reveal all about this company and its history.

Knightsbridge archives were my friends here among others.

In brief, two brothers, ( three in all, Moses being the other ), Samuel and William started the company from a small established drapers shop in Knightsbridge in 1869, serving the " lower echelons of society ", this phrase has been repeated many times by others in their writings and started to annoy me for its mis-use, " lower echelons of society ",-- who were they pickpockets, cut throats?, --no--say it as it is-- servants, in service, shop workers and small establishments, then and now the backbone of this country--I digress.

The brothers and their staff worked their socks off and its shop windows displays were known and liked, the shop/s later on received High Society and Royal Patronage.

My favourite was reading the recollections of Sonia Keppel daughter of Alice Keppel, mistress of Edward the 7th, who along with her sister, Violet in the 1900s were taken to the store and delivered to the appropriate children's floor by " Grimly " the lift man and more mysterious, dealt with by a lady only referred to as No 10.

Sonia goes on, 'We never discovered whether 'No.10' had had Christian baptism and a name of her own. To Violet and me, she remained a numerical cipher that sucked pins. Always she was bent double at our feet, measuring our skirts, slithering round on her poor, old knees".

Tiny-tiny snippet of shop floor life of the 1900s,

Sonia is the great grandmother of Camilla---yes that Camilla, Violet went on to lead a more colourful life and her best friend and lover, even more so.

Digressing again, I believe Woollands was purchased in 1947 by Debenhams, the business stopped trading under the Woollands name in 1967.

Images of my Woollands coat, not sure if it is late 50s--60s, I suspect 60s.

It is in perfect as new condition and a size 14.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  18. Ranch Queen Vintage

@Avantbo This is wonderful research. Thank you so much!

I'll do my best to pull it together into linear bios for the Label Resource, unless you'd rather I leave that to you.

I think the LeRose label is fine, but we will need a larger close-up image of the Woolands label (scroll up to view the Don Loper example or refer to the size requirements at the top of this thread). Also, let us know how you wish to be credited.

Please feel free to send me a PM with any questions.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  19. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Marsha,

I have redone the Woollands logo and posted, if not good enough, please let me know, I will retake.

Could you let me know what you mean by " Linear Bios " in your post, I know what it means in computer programing terms but I'm not clear what is required of me for this forum page?

I note I could not create a new post with a title on these pages/forum, I can only post a reply and upload images,--is this correct or am I not seeing something?

Lastly, is the label resource page/s the place to upload images or should I keep it to a image label only for submission and post any other details/research/ other images on the item in the " share your treasures" forums, could you advise please.?

Oh yes, credit, I'm happy to use Avantbo

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  20. Ranch Queen Vintage

@Avantbo Thanks for posting the larger Woollands image - perfecto!

What I meant by linear was a "just the facts, ma'am" approach, without editorializing. We certainly love all manner of personal comments on the forums, but that approach doesn't quite fit the format of the Label Resource. I'm happy to edit, unless you'd prefer to do so. We can discuss further in a PM if you have any questions.

You are correct. This particular thread **Post Labels for the Label Resource Here** 2020 is a running thread. It is the only place on the VFG forums to post labels for inclusion in the Label Resource. The other forums for showing off treasures and Q & A are discussion, only. If you post labels and research elsewhere, the volunteers who maintain the Label Resource might miss them. So, if you have a label and research to accompany that label, please post them in this thread. Thanks, again!

denisebrain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.