1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2022

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Ratcatcher2, Jan 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratcatcher2

Ratcatcher2 Registered Guest

Hey, I'm Tape! I am a lover of fashion and collect clothing that makes me feel good about myself. I mostly pick up things that are charmingly ugly though I also look for bright colours, interesting silhouettes, European designs and Edwardian/Inspired clothing. I love vintage clothing and buy the vast majority of my clothes used or vintage for the fit, fashion, and sustainability. When I'm not being lazy I like to sew. Lately, I've been too busy with work and reading. I've been using this site to help date my vintage finds for a while now so I thought it was about time I joined!

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Amy Winstead

Amy Winstead Registered Guest

Hi, I'm Amy. I've sewn all my life and recently started repairing vintage machines. I've always thrifted fabrics, but I have recently acquired the contents of a few sewing rooms from women who are now with me in spirit. 800+ patterns, vintage fabrics, piles of notions, enough batting to make quilt to cover the world... I'm honored to be overwhelmed with these items. I have always enjoyed and appreciated the art of sewing, but now that I have these treasures to care for and use I am diving into the vintage rabbit hole because a lot of this is vintage. I need to learn and figure out the next steps. Is this my business when I retire in a few years? Do I just dive in and use the biggest piece and make a red and blue striped stretch poly leisure suit? lol. Idk, but I'm excited to find out where this all goes and thankful for the resources you all provide :)

Nina Ekman, Creff and Yarndiva like this.
  4. Midge

Hello and welcome to the forums, @Amy Winstead ! Your acquisitions sound amazing. I have an online vintage pattern shop and some for myself every now and then - using vintage patterns and my grandma's sewing machine - so I can relate a little :). I always find it so interesting when I find pattern lot that comes all from the person and seeing their little idionsynchrasies or seeing their story in the patterns, especially if they span a few decades.

5. Cinderella Shine

Cinderella Shine Registered Guest

Aloha Everyone! I am a rag magnet. Its one of my super powers. I traded my first vintage piece at 12 years old, 43 years ago. I had an opportunity, while working in Boston, to identify and gratefully, have rescued, authentic Erte costumes from a damp basement. I once had a brick and mortar shop called Cinderella's Reckless Daughter where I traded in Balenciga, CHANEL, Norman Norell, Pucci and other extraordinary pieces dating back to the turn of the century. I spent many years as a costume design for regional theaters and have had the enormous pleasure of digging through old Hollywood rental houses, as well as working with the most gifted tailors, milliners and fashion creators in the nation. I lived for 14 years in Hawaii and have become a lover of Hawaiiana in all its forms. There is so much to love and admire about vintage clothing! For me it's a deeply satisfying, tactile lyceum. So happy to be among you all! Thank you!

JodyGary and Nina Ekman like this.
  6. Midge

7. Alison LoBasso

Alison LoBasso Registered Guest

Hello all,

My name is Alison LoBasso and I adore the timelessness of vintage beauty, the stories that revive the history of each piece, and the quality designed in each piece that has produced decades of joy for so many. Happy to meet others who share in my grateful enthusiasm. Hoping to start again this year. Jerry Gilden is my favorite find so far this year.

Nina Ekman likes this.
  8. sofiat

sofiat Registered Guest

hi everyone! i'm sofia, and i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to vintage fashion, but i have a lot of passion. my background is in theatre; as you can imagine, the pieces i've found, created, and worn range from the impractical to the fantastical. i mostly collect wearable pieces for myself, but over the years i've been able to rehome some gorgeous pieces, including a silk brocade evening gown from the 50's and a lilac rabbit fur coat from the 90's. i am currently in a bit of a 60's mod thru 70's patchwork mood and i hope to learn a lot more from you all!

JodyGary likes this.
  9. Midge

10. Yarndiva

Yarndiva Registered Guest

Hello everyone. My name is Anne Graham from California USA. I am a recently retired seamstress who now is able to to indulge my lifelong interest in history and clothing. What brought me here is a search for information and maybe advice in some volunteer work I am doing for a historical monument and their living history program. The time period they portray is the 1920's and 1930's. There is in their collection a lot of vintage garments, for both display and worn as costumes. Many are in need of repair, care or duplication for use.

How nice to have found many kindred spirits here who also have much appreciation for the craftsmanship and design from earlier eras.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    denisebrain likes this.
  11. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello Anne, wonderful to see you here!

Yarndiva likes this.
  12. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Please introduce yourself here!

If you have just registered why not introduce yourself to the rest of us? Tell us a little about who you are and what you like because we'd all love to get to know you.

Use this thread for posting an introduction to you!!

Also check out the rest of the Public Information Center for frequently asked technical questions to make your stay an easy as well as pleasant one!

Here are a few links to help you get started:

Welcome to the VFG

How to Get Help with Your Vintage Fashions

How to Post a Photo

13. AKA_MAJEE

AKA_MAJEE Registered Guest

Hi, I am a reseller who is trying not to underprice vintage items when I find them. Looking forward to browsing through all the knowledge here.

Deevintage and denisebrain like this.
  14. Retro Kandy Vintage

Retro Kandy Vintage VFG Member

Hello Everyone!
    I’m Melanie, I am the owner of Retro Kandy Vintage.
    My love for vintage began with music at the age of 6. I loved oldies music, especially Davy Jones & The Monkees. Their albums were my first collection. I also started my ongoing collection of enamel flower pins. I’ve been a collector of anything vintage ever since.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Fine Art, Sculpture from Edinboro University and a Master of Fine Arts in Fashion Design from Savannah College of Art & Design. After completing my education, I worked in the New York fashion industry as a designer for Calvin Klein and Larry Levine. I often used vintage design elements in my New York designs. I had collected so much over the years I started an ebay shop in 2007. As my love for everything vintage continued to grow, it inspired me to launch Retro Kandy Vintage online in 2008. After my husband and I moved to Belgium in 2010, I opened RKV as a retail shop and a web store featuring American made vintage clothing, accessories, and housewares. We are now back in the United States and I have redesigned and in 2018 relaunched Retro Kandy Vintage shop online.

I am looking forward to interacting, connecting & learning on these forums. :)

Midge and denisebrain like this.
  15. Rybar

Rybar Registered Guest

Looks like I am the first one in here this year...

Howdy and happy New Year!

I joined this group because I got a bad case of curiosity when looking through a plethora of old clothing given to me by a neighbor. It is really cool seeing the differences in the labels of older clothing (woven labels) and the newer clothing (printed labels). It is also fun to research the designers and brands. There is so much data on the internet about the fashion industry, but there still is quite a bit of missing information.

I figured that I could help by uploading a few labels to expand the label database and increase the amount of knowledge of fashion available on the internet.

Thank you for letting me join.

Deevintage and Distantdetails like this.
  16. Midge

17. KendraM

KendraM Registered Guest

Hello! I've been browsing this forum for quite some time, so I figured it was time to make an account. Anywho! I'm a thrifter (I much prefer the hunt) and I collect vintage nightwear.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  18. Midge

19. RetroSnowWhite

RetroSnowWhite Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I'm Josephine. I've always loved old stuff. I love knowing that before I owned something, someone else had experiences in it! And I just love the aesthetic. Sometimes it's fun to just make something new that looks retro, that you can put in the wash machine no problem lol. I love rococo, victorian, edwardian, and 30's-70's. I don't have pictures of most of my vintage stuff yet But for cosplay vintage stuff, here's my replicas of Cloud City Leia and Lynda Carter's WW that took forever to make and research. inCollage_20220130_115315619.jpg Really happy to see there's a forum for vintage lovers!! RetroSnowWhite- in costume 5.jpg

20. Midge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.