1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 NEW TO THE BOARD? INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

Welcome to the VFG! Everyone's very friendly and helpful on here, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

My mother donated a lot of her 60s and 70s gear to me, but I can't manage to part with it, it's too lovely! ..I just have to keep buying more wardrobes. LOL!

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

hello! :hiya:
    buying more vintage than i ever sell seems to be my speciality too so you're in good company! look forward to seeing some of your mum's treasures! :)

3. Jennifer O.

Jennifer O. Registered Guest

This is the best. I love that this website is actually "Useful". (great information--the Label listing is priceless!!!)

I am in grad school right now, writing a thesis on 20th century fashion. The topic is California Fashion: 1930-1980.
    In the meantime I am also a fashion design teacher and so I am over my head in fashion research. It's long hours going through original magazines and newpapers, but that's only half the fun.
    I am also documenting fashion garments with photos, drafting front and back views on production flats, and making patterns from some.
    I also hope to dig up more bio info on Calif. designers and manufacturers so we can all know more about them. The pros from the early years that are still alive are getting old, so it's time to get their lives on tape!
    20th century fashion is so great, I envy all of you who can 'play' with it for a living!
    --Jennifer O.

4. Welcome Jennifer! Great to see you here. Jump right in.

Marie

5. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Thanks for joining in, Jennifer! It's great to have you here!
    Jody

6. Hattysattic

Hello Jennifer!
    You sound like you're having fun being busy! Nice to 'see' you!
    :hiya:

7. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi Jennifer. And welcome!

Be sure to check out the Workshop Board. Last summer Lin held a workshop on Louella Ballerino, which is excellent!

Your project sounds really interesting! We will be interested in all the great info you gather. And any new additions to the Label Resource are most welcome!

Lizzie

8. Hi Jennifer! Great to have you!

9. Jennifer O.

Hi,
    Thank you for your welcome.
    Louella Ballerino?
    I would love transcripts from the if any exist.

Well, I have a 'big' paper due tomorrow on a overview of the Calif. design industry from 30's-80. This is the first draft on what will hopefully be my thesis!

thanks for your notes, Jennifer

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

11. Jennifer O.

thank you for the referals--
    I checked out the Louella Ballerino article, and really appreciate getting that information.
    It really helps to see what was written about her.
    (I'm ready to sew a copy or two, they look so great)
    I also agree about the older ethnic textile dirndls we see around.
    --I will now take more interest in the labels, since maybe I will run across one. The thrift stores I frequent seem to get alot from old estates, and the type of skirts she designed do turn up often!
    --Jennifer

12. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Jennifer :hiya: and Welcome!

We have a super Pattern Dating workshop coming up on Dec. 2 too which should have a ton of great info!

Sue

13. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Hi Jennifer!!
    Great to have you "on board!" I hope we see you around here alot.. and maybe you'll even apply for membership some day! :)

14. Jennifer O.

Thank you, but don't memebers need to be sellers?

I am already 'over participating', but the question in the Q&A section on the 40's suit really got me going--I think that they have a French couture garment used as a model for couture copies at I.Magnin's in S.F--what a find!
    I had alot of fun looking that up and finding a label that matched theirs.

well, gotta sign off and actually 'do' something today, Jennifer

15. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

I believe I am correct (and hopefully not overstepping my bounds) by saying that although MOST of our members are, indeed, sellers... we do make special exceptions for those who are especially knowledgeable in the field, like yourself.

Maybe someone else could say better than I, though. :)

16. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Welcome to the gang Jennifer.

Being busy with vintage is what makes life more pleasureable!!!!!!

Well for me anyways. I can't think of any other kind of work I would rather being doing then selling and finding vintage!

17. humblestumble

humblestumble Registered Guest

Name's Angela, I'm 19 and I'm studying to be a massage therapist.

I'm new and I love the first half of the 20th century and I have an ever growing list of links I'd like to share

http://www.geocities.com/mclittledrink/links.html

I LOVE the 40s and I also am beginning to like the 20s more.

18. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Hi and welcome!

I like the Victorian and Edwardian eras and the 50's/early 60's as they suit my shape. I'm too curvey to pull off 1920's things! :)

Lei

19. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Ooo, I just found the Vivien of Holloway link on your links page!! I want one of their dresses!!!! My aunt is sending me the red crinoline she used to wear in the 50's so I can wear my auntie's crinoline with one of these dresses!!

Lei

20. Hattysattic

:hiya: hi angela, good to see you. i love your links page - now that's what i need my 'favourites' pull down menu thingy to look like!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.