1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Iconic" sweaters from the 1940s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I love vintage knitting patterns!! I honestly have a drawer in my dresser filled to the top with them.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The feathers on the shoulders thing may be related to The Hunger Games, considering a new film just came out and the lead girl's feathered outfit was a big hit in the previous film. Just a guess...

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

To be honest it's more likely somebody 'famous' got photographed wearing one...that's usually the reason for a sudden hike in price of a vintage piece.
    I live in a student town in central England, hence I see a lot of 1980's jumpers but not much earlier.
    I favour 70's knits myself. Although I do have an 80's popcorn knit jumper dress that is my winter storm go-to. It's like wearing a duvet.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Wow a Flash Gordon sweater if I ever saw one! That's fab. I have one with Dali style floppy clocks all over it, must photograph that to show you. It's bright purple and embellished.
    My favourite 70s jumper is a poloneck with houses around the boat neckline and cuffs, and pom pom ties, of course...

Here are some I was getting ready to list, because they are too big for me really (what's too big in the 80s? :D):
    I love this one because the brand label is Avant Garde, and the hidden mask/face in the pattern:
    DSCF8882.JPG DSCF8883.JPG DSCF8916.JPG

and this is some vintage French Connection! maybe sneaking into the 90's I'm not sure at the moment. Has a quilting/Kaffe Fassett look going on:
    DSCF8921.JPG DSCF8920.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  6. Midge

I wear mostly secondhand cashmere sweaters in winter :). These 40s and 50s sweaters are amazing, and I'd wear them in a heartbeat, but to be honest, they run a bit high in price for me, considering that I'm going to be washing and wearing them regularly. I have some vintage 50s cashmere though, that I really like - however, nothing exciting, except for the color - it's just a classic twinset. I was looking for vintage cashmere online, but couldn't find what I liked or was my size.
    Melanie, that first sweater of yours reminds me of an 80s one I had that I believe was NOS when I found it in a thrift store - I have sold it on since though:
    80ssweater.jpg
    This one was so long, that I could wear it with leggings - I still like that look!

Karin

7. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I had that sweater in my favorites on Etsy! It's pretty cool!

8. Midge

9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

This from Fedora Lounge - "Skating Sweaters" (and I like his socks...)
    12359825_1538904536435780_3599170805462618517_n.jpg

10. Midge

Wow, that Mary Maxim is great! I'm working on my second one now - my cousin's little boy got his Choo-Choo Train today, and was very happy. Next I'm making Chicopee (sweater) and Snowflake (cardigan) for myself. Well and truly caught by the knitting bug! :hysterical:
    The other one does look like St. George and the dragon. What a motif!

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    poppysvintageclothing and Midge like this.
  12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Karin's mum knitted her the Schiaparelli sweater in black & fushia pink I think - did she show it here?

13. Midge

schiaparellisweater.jpg
    yup - here it is. I wear it regularly. It's super warm, because the special knitting technique Schiaparelli used means the whole thing is knitted with two strands of yarn all the time. Of course you could also do it in "normal" intarsia knitting, using just one strand of yarn at a time.
    This may be the best-known Schiaparelli sweater design, but I saw a few more in an exhibition in Paris this year, and a few try-out/mock-up pieces - some with a trompe-l'oeil cravat or other type of scarf, and they are all so very clever and I'd love to have them all :hysterical:.

14. Midge

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Linda I can't work out what the sweater image is - it looks kind of Sherlock Holmish from here though lol, can you enlarge it?

16. amandainvermont

Does this help? il_fullxfull.895778235_88e7.jpeg

The horse is bucking - practically doing a hand stand (hoof stand?) with its tail in the air near the rim of the hat's silhouette. The hat is more of the classic 1920's style with the high crown. The boy has something around his neck which is in the photo as well.

17. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ah, thanks knowing what it is supposed to be helps :) - I thought the boy's head was one of those Victorian street lamps, with a Sherlock Holmes like figure inside the silhouette of his profile head. LOL I have way too much imagination. (actually, it's probably because I watched the Sherlock Victorian special not long ago :D)

18. amandainvermont

Sorry if this is a repeat share. (This thread is SO long!) I came across it while researching hats. 1940's.

this one.jpg

19. Midge

Such a cute sweater, Amanda!
    Linda, you are so right about buying vintage instead of spending big $$$ on RL items. Also, one could still make one's own and I don't think you'd spend much more than $50 on that either. The vintage patterns are usually not expensive to buy on Etsy. I am never quite sure how much wool I need, so I buy some to begin with and then just go back and buy more if I need it. So far, I've spent about $40 on the wool for the Mary Maxim sweater I'm working on, and it seems to last quite long, so I may even get through with that. Anyhow, you can't even buy a nice new merino wool sweater for that kind of money, even if it's not some big designer name... I've definitely caught the knitting bug again thanks to this thread and others that introduced me to Mary Maxim!

20. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Linda I would have thought the Indian sweater was earlier without the date, as it's been given puff sleeves. Love the shape of that.