VINTAGE 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Trade Member

2. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

Yes, it is a tremendous ensemble!

I got this at a thrift store for $14.99.

[​IMG]

I completely disassembled it in order to put it back together MEMPHIS STYLE!!! I even bought clear plastic casters with red rubber.

[​IMG]

Finished!

[​IMG]

Display case for my colorful bakelite and my Eve Kaplin and any other piece I want to display!!!

[​IMG]

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

Linda that display case is amazing! and I totally want to make one myself now.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

5. lindapoirier

Thank you! I really had a great time with this project. I think it probably took over 20 hours in total. I had to replace the cam locks too because it didn't come with keys. I am thoroughly satisfied with the results. I don't own any Memphis furniture and I would greatly appreciate a piece if I ever found one but until then I have to sincerely flatter them through imitation.

BTW, there is a new 500 page Etorre Sottsass (the father of Memphis design) book that I am coveting.

6. lindapoirier

I kind of went on a splurge 80s jewelry spree. All Etsy and about $15 a piece.

I love paper marcher!!

80s5.jpg

These are all plastic, if you can believe it and they are huge!

80s6.jpg

I couldn't resist the folk/composite paper look of this set!

80s7.jpg

Metro Retro Vintage and Pinkcoke like this.
  7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member

Love those earrings, Linda! Especially the last pair. I'm glad this thread got bumped, since I wanted to tell you about a bunch of 80's earrings I picked up today. Normally, it's not my thing, but you're making me have a new appreciation for it. I'll take a group shot in the morning.

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Linda, here's a pic as promised. If not for you and this thread, I may not have picked these up and so I thank you for sharing your passion about the 80's.

[​IMG]

Pinkcoke likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

10. Metro Retro Vintage

Lol! Linda has been a great influence. Looking forward to the pics, MJ. :)

11. lindapoirier

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! I feel loved. THANK YOU!!!

I really can't help myself. I get excited about things and it spills. I love this place because you let me share my enthusiasm for vintage clothing and accessories. Thank you for providing the forum. Also, I want to see all those finds. I can't get enough.

I love those earrings. Without a doubt 80s fashion sensibility. I find I gravitate towards mostly 80s lately. I just love the Memphis Group and after reading the two books on them, I am steeped and ready to pour. I see someone on Ebay has Nathalie de Pasquier and some Etorre Sottsass fabric on sale for $245 a yard!! I'd love to get some and make a dress but that is INSANE!

I think it's a great idea to get on board the 80s train because just in the time that I've been collecting I've seen the prices almost triple.

12. lindapoirier

I did find a terrific knock-off duvet cover!! $3.99 at Value Village. I may just turn it into a dress??!!

80s17.jpg

13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

You're not alone in the duvet making dress society Linda, I have seen many in the last few years, particularly cartoon or comic strip printed bedlinen into 50's style cotton dresses.
    This bracelet I've had for a while, the scored the earrings last week for a whole 20p! I can actually see myself wearing them sometime too (especially as yesterday I picked up a pair of shoes that happen to match...)
    DSCF1427.JPG
    DSCF1430.JPG

14. lkranieri

lkranieri Trade Member

I was looking for this thread two days ago because I was rummaging through my jewelry then and found these earrings, which reminded me of this thread. May I assume they are of the same Memphis style? I don't really wear earrings, but I thought these were fun.
    MemphisEarringsFrontSmlr.jpg
    and here are the backs...

MemphisEarringsBack.jpg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  15. lindapoirier

Definitely Memphis -inspired. The philosophy of Memphis isn't one off and easy. The theory is very complex. It's quite difficult to summarize in a couple of sentences but I will say that they wanted to challenge the common perception of taste. They wanted to make things that were functional and also ART. They didn't want them to be limited editions. They wanted people to live with Art and use it. They pretty much expected their furniture to fall apart from wear.

Isn't that a great idea? I think it is splendiferous!

I would have to say that nearly 35 years later that they succeeded. I see so many designs now that exist BECAUSE of Memphis. All our earrings are living proof that we have come to live with Art and we utilize it. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Melanie, I have seen these dress you speak of and my favorite are the ones that use solid colors with the comic/cartoon fabrics. They are the very dresses that inspire me. Now, all I have to do is attempt one. Your outfit is amazing, btw. I love to mix decades in an assemble. You ARE a walking work of Art, in my humble opinion.

16. poppysvintageclothing

17. lindapoirier

Without a doubt!

18. lindapoirier

Found yesterday for $1.99. This little transistor is what I'd say is "iconic" 80s. First, it's got those Memphis colors. Second it takes a fantastic old idea: transistor radio (think toot-a-loop or panapet), and turns it on it's 80s head. It's a transistor radio with removable speakers!! Possibly an homage to the undeniable 80s trend of the boombox.

transistor2.jpg

transistor3.jpg

19. poppysvintageclothing

20. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

These would look great on the parcel shelf of my sister's car (a metallic lime green Micra) would go well with the MIB windscreen sunshade we found the other day for £1.99 that has a giant pair of sunglasses printed on them :cool: