VINTAGE 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found another book of 1980's fashion! This one is full of great photos. Here are my three favorites. I think if I could have that matching sweater vest and legwarmers set, I'd die a happy woman!
    IMG_20150401_173015_844.jpg IMG_20150401_172410_313.jpg IMG_20150401_172625_773.jpg IMG_20150401_172910_168.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Trade Member

Oh yes, those sheer, dotted tights that came in all colors - remember that! I want the red shoes though...!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  3. harman

harman Registered Guest

that's wonderful :)

4. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

$_1-5.jpeg

Two new Eve Kaplin pieces. Ebay. No one else bid.

$_1-7.jpeg

5. lindapoirier

I had read that Eve Kaplin did small house fixtures: clocks, candle sticks... small objects it seems. I had never seen one. My best friend found a clock for me. UNBELIEVABLE!

That is a Marco Zanini ceramic that I was very lucky to find.

filo2_zpsmel3jb5h.jpeg

6. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

My totally fabulous grandmother passed down her jewelry stash today, and I found this wonderful kinetic Eve Kaplin brooch in the lot! Thought of this thread (and Linda particularly!) immediately. So glad I can better appreciate this beautiful piece thanks to this site!
    20170829_1941312500.jpg
    20170829_1942172500.jpg

Midge and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  7. lindapoirier

Aww, ''tis a thing of beauty! Without a doubt Eve Kaplin. Enjoy.

I just got this Osgood Smuk jacket on Etsy. Late 80s, potentially 90s.

IMG_0899.JPG

8. lindapoirier

I just got this Eve Kaplin set!!! A person who represented Eve at the Chicago Fashion Center in the 1980s is selling some pieces for a co-worker.

It is Eve Kaplin without a doubt because the black chain is identical to my two other necklaces. As are the black swirls.

I LOVE THE SET! It looks amazing on.

Edit. It might be from The Script Series, principal was Mary Shields, (1990 - 1992) which is after the Mechanical Series. There was also a Fable Series.

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Edit again. Someone has updated the Eve Kaplin Facebook page. Lots of great designs and even some photos of Eve.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. Terri

Terri Registered Guest

IMG_1544.JPG I love 80s, Eve Kaplin, and Memphis. So thank you all for your contributions to this discussion, and keep in going! I found this book at my local design and architecture bookshop Peter Miller. It it pretty great.

10. lindapoirier

Yes, yes it is and pretty much the go to when trying to understand what THE Memphis Group were trying to achieve. Edit . Barbara Radice was Sottsass's girlfriend.

My "Memphis" library. That Sotheby's book took me years to find at a reasonable price. I think it was about $40, which is pretty good considering the prices being asked.

IMG_1650.JPG

HOWEVER, these are my prized Memphis possessions, considering I will probably never own a piece of their furniture. It took a while but I got the entire set.

IMG_1651.JPG

Acme Studios is reproducing their Memphis line of jewelry.

http://acmestudio.com/acme_legacy-jewelry/

Edit. That Sottsass book has increased in value since it was first released. Originally it was $90 but I see they start at $300 now. Crazy. This also happened with my Calder Jewelry book. I ordered it when it came out. Now it is worth a fortune. It was $100, which I thought was expensive but it starts at $600 now and it keeps going up in value. Double crazy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. lindapoirier

Today at Value Village. 1980s! The Zara jean jacket is extra long and it had faux sheepskin but I removed it - something's are just ugly. $18.99.

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Sweater ( of course ) for $12.99.

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

Lulu Poppins and amandainvermont like this.
  12. lindapoirier

I found this today for $9.99!

IMG_1739.JPG

denisebrain, Midge and Lady Scarletts like this.
  13. Midge

Midge Trade Member

14. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

It's so funny and nice!

15. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I will not start collecting this fab vintage, I will not start collecting this fab vtg.......
    After this thread I keep seeing this or like everywhere I go. Linda, linda.

16. lindapoirier

Ha! For every 80s piece I buy, I stop, agape, at at least 8 other 80s pieces. Some are just too much.

I haven't found the opportunity to wear that jacket yet. I LOOK LIKE THE NUTCRACKER! I will figure it out though because, in my head, it is amazing.

I wore my music note sweater and skirt set on Christmas Day. With the circles Eve Kaplin matching necklace and earrings. Everyone LOVED my ensemble.

17. Sonia Helena

Sonia Helena Registered Guest

I was a teenager in the 80s but I'm afraid all I have left are some photos and vinyl albums :)

18. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

This thread inspired me to buy (and list) this choker on Etsy (click on the image for the listing). Thanks for the inspiration and the eye candy!

memphischoker.jpg

19. lindapoirier

Fantastic and it is undeniable that Memphis saw an Alexander Calder mobile!

northstarvintage likes this.
  20. lindapoirier

Found this great set today. Napkins were $2.99 and the table cloth was $3.99.

IMG_2468.JPG